A couple of hardware issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwire45, Oct 30, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't have a UPS device at home to play with otherwise I'd try it out here and see the effect. I'll have to wait until Monday and go back to the chem lab to test out starting the UPS service. I think the service has to be on in order for the UPS to become active during a power out. The only other way to test it would be for me to pull the UPS's plug out of the wall and see what happens.

And Gav...absolutely...the tomato is from you're truck. You're my main veggie man. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I remember in my studies that I learnt that there were two types of UPS.

I can't remember the exact terms, but it stated that some UPS's automatically come into effect when there's a power cut and some have to be turned on after a power cut.

The cheap UPS's are probably the latter.They are merely to get the machines back up again as soon as possible.

The more expensive UPS's are always on and if there's a power cut, the machine is not effected because the UPS is always on, it just works with the normal pwer scheme, and becomes independent when the grid is down.

So if your UPS is of the cheap version, then maybe it only acts as a power supply when you turn it on manually, when you notice that all the lights have gone out :idea:

3. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Just had a chat with my brother in law and he has a friend who installs UPS's for a living, so we asked him about this and........

he has informed us that the 'UPS service stopped' message will be displayed in the power managment settings under the UPS tab if windows is not configured to communicate with that particular UPS. The UPS will however still power the Computer in the event of a Utilities power failure, however, when the batteries run out on the UPS it will just switch the machine off as opposed to forcing a shutdown, a forced shutdown would only occure if windows or 3rd party software (usually supplied with the UPS) was configured to communicate with the UPS

HTH

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sounds like some Expert Points might be required there .... :?:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity