1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A+ - Computeach or Self Study Advice

Discussion in 'A+' started by andylad9, May 11, 2011.

1. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Hi

I'm planning on switching career from videography to IT. I've been looking at these forums and found the information and users most helpful. I would consider myself a advanced beginner (beginner intermediate) in IT.

I understand my first step is to do the A+ exam. My question is via which of these two methods.

1) User here seem to suggest self study using the book 'CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide - Michael Meyers' (that should be arriving today).

2) Computeach have a subscription service. £1800 gets you a year in which you can achieve the A+ and MCITP...and possibly more Network+ (may have that wrong).

Computeach suggested beginners would take 6 months for each of the A+ and MCITP. But if you were a little more advanced then 3-4 months for each. They also have virtual labs, tutor support, pay for exams + resits, (5?)in centre training days and career service/advice.

The book route is much cheaper, but I'm worried about doing a practical course via a book. Is Computeach expensive to achieve the A+ & MCITP, with the support and everything included? Anybody used Computeach before?

What is peoples advice?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  2. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Quick update.

I had a chat with Nation Learning IT Centre.

They suggested that the A+ wasn't enough these days and I'd need to do the A+ with Network+...with a view to do the MCITP further down the line.

The A+ and Network+ would cost me £1950 upfront or £2500 in instalments ouch!

I think I can forget at them. But would people suggest doing the Network+ before MCITP...I'm looking at entry level positions.

Thanks

Andy

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes you should do the network+ before the MCITP windows 7. MCITP is a very big step up from the A+ and N+ especially if you have no experience.

The price you have been quoted is ridiculous. Take what training providers say with a pinch of salt many will fill you with false hopes just to get a hold of your cash.

I have never used one and will never use one unless its paid for by someone else.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I went down the A+ and Network+ route myself, and then did 70-270 so i'd promote going the same sort of way. It was a good increase in difficulty; no major jumps until the 70-290 so I'd imagine the MCITP arena would be the same sort of level.

I would rule out paying out thousands for what are, to be honest, pretty straight forward exams. Self study I feel is always a better way to learn if your motivated enough etc, and if your not motivated enough, then IT really isn't your calling!

Best of luck. 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

self study my friend! the A+ and N+ took me 4 months and cost me about 460

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

I have been studying with Michael Meyers A+ book for a few days now and I'm rather enjoying it. The book is well laid out, full of digestible information and I can certainly see myself achieving the A+ via self study.

Thanks for all the advice and saving me a few thousand pounds.

I want to book my exams soon (for in the future) because I'll have a target to work towards then. Can I or Should I sit the 701 & 702 separate or together?

Thanks

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Its entirely upto you. I did both mine on the same day but you must make sure you are ready so I would suggest getting some practice exams from Boson, transcender or preplogic. Personally after using all 3 of those providers I would recommend boson as the best but download some demos of each one to see which you prefer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?