A big hello from redstar!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by redstar, Aug 14, 2007.

1. redstar

redstar Bit Poster

Obviously new here and just wanted to say a big thankyou to everyone that has posted on the many topics around.

I have found the feedback (both positive and negative) that has been provided to be really helpfull to me and hopefully i will be able to give a little back in return that would be benificial to everyone out there.

I've decided to make a change in career into something that interests me. I'm thinking along the lines of mcse. I'm self taught in what i know with no experience in IT or any formal qualifications.

Currently i've had an advisor from both computeach and advent visit me with skillstrain coming tomorrow.

I currently work fulltime (have done for 17yrs) and will use my cash from this job to pay for my studies.

I will provide feedback of those meetings in the relevent areas once i've spoken with the reps concerned.

Your comments and thoughts are welcome, good or bad lol. :biggrin

John (redstar)

Certifications: None
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you've got no IT experience, then the MCSE is not likely to help you get a start in IT (regardless of what the training schools are trying to sell you). The MCSE is certainly worth getting... just not at your current experience level, because the MCSE is not an entry-level certification. Have you considered the A+ and Network+ certifications?

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree with what Boson already said.

And that's what MS states as a requirement to just be a candidate.

Apart from that "Hi & welcome to CF" :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. redstar

redstar Bit Poster

Thanks for the welcome and perhaps i should have been more specific. I'll get the hang of this posting lol.

I would like to work up to a mcse. This would mean starting with an IT fundamental course ir IC3 the moving onto compTIA A+ then onto the next stages. Does that sound better?

Thanks for the input though.:thumbleft

5. BosonMichael

Sounds much better! :) And, of course, you don't have to stop at the MCSE! ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. BosonMichael

Yep... not just a year of IT experience... but a year of doing that particular job in IT. :)

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum!

One more thing, which will save you a load of cash and potential grief. Self study at least the entry level certs, if not all your future certs.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Some great advice so far - and sounds like you've got a good handle on what you want to do.

Hope you enjoy the forums!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. g.vangemerden

g.vangemerden Bit Poster

Taking a course at some kind of Learning Provider (Prefferably a CPLS :) ) is not that bad. Most trainers will provide you with all kind of reallife knowledge, witch you wouldn't get from just the books. However, don't expect to pass an exam JUST by following a course. Work with the stuff, install machines, try every checkmark, ruin your test-environment and try to get it back on (make a backup first!!), in other words: get as much hands-on experience as possible..

Good luck on studying..

BTW... Welcome!

Guido

Certifications: See signature..
    WIP: MCITP:DBA - MCITP:SA - MCIPT:EA
  11. BosonMichael

...but is far too expensive when compared with self-study.

Then you haven't been reading the right books... many books provide real-life tidbits.

Most trainers do NOT provide real-life knowledge. Some do. Some have no clue as to what happens in real-life. The point is, you have no way of knowing whether you're gonna get a "good one" or a "bad one". And in any case, is it worth paying thousands of dollars/pounds just for the chance at getting that extra info? Might be for some people, I guess...

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey and welcome to the forums.

I too agree with whats been said already. Just work hard and you'll do well.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. redstar

redstar Bit Poster

Hmmm self study....i've never really considered that as an option until now.

I'm going to buy a couple of books (after some research) covering the fundamentals of IT and comptia A+. Perhaps this will help me decide if i should self study for the timebeing rather than spending a huge sum of money on a course.

In the meantime, thx for the warm welcome all. I'm now going to bury myself in the forums once again to see what i can find out.

14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Greetings and welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  15. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Theres the old adage that those that can't do teach ! :biggrin

Now this is slightly disrespectful of the teaching profession in general, often they do a great job and are very knowledgeable. Just bear in mind that you will be very lucky to get an IT trainer in an advanced topic without paying whads of cash as they could be earning alot more in industry than as a trainer !