A+ and N+ ???

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Mr.Cheeks, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi Guys and not forgetting the Girls!

Firstly, i have to admit this is one excellent forum, and secondly the reason for this post...

I was considering doing a MSDST, however from various posts, i am hearing that A+ and N+ should be the way forward. What exactly is this??? :rolleyes:

Cheers...

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi, welcome.

I would (and others) agree that A+, N+ is a great foundation for all IT.
    The MCDST, if i am correct is based on the 70-270 along with other topics such as dealing with customers etc.

Good luck whatever you decide :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'd say the the A+ and the Network+ are definately better starting places.

Whilst The MCDST is good, it focuses purely on MS technology, where as the A+ will give you a far better understanding of the technologies and concepts behind them.

8)

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Boyce you right about the mcdst.. umm i think if you new to IT go for A+ then n+.. that way you can have a good foundation for what you want to do next

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Mr.Cheeks

That is my problem... I am not exactly new to IT. I have and always will work with computers and sincerely enjoy it, however, my qualifications differs. As we all know, experience out weights qualifications.

Experience: I have done 1st line support work for upto 30 people however not officially, i.e. not part of my job role and only for some 14 months. I know the majority of XP, Win2K, 98. Know how to install all MS OS's, set up FTp servers(WinXP), networking, etc...

I want to do a course but still am really confused! :(

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just to clarify guy's the 271 and 272 MCDST exams cover a lot of different topice to those covered in the 270 exam.

The MCDST exams approach questions from the ground level, where as the 270 questions look at things from the perspective of a network administrator.

For the 270 exam you are expected to know your stuff to a greater level of complexity than for the MCDST exams.

That is still not to say that they are a walk in the park, you need to use XP everyday.

Actually I've just realised something, the 271 and 272 exams are about using XP, where as the 270 exam is about configuring XP.

:blink

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Go for the A+, then Network+, then MCSDT.

If you already have experience then it should just be refreshing your knowledge, and you should be able to fly through them in no time at all.

8)

8. Mr.Cheeks

I am hoping im looking in the wrong place, but the course for A+ is for £1200 and N+ £1500!

I closed the multiple tabbed browser, so i cant link you to the site - sorry.

Im looking to do a self study course, obviously i am going to some in-depth research whether that will be viable, as i have found out, nothing matter how good you think you are, always be prepared for a shock...

9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Prices differ depending on where you look and go.

Our local tech college offers the A+ (thru the iPRO route) at £345, plus £172 for both exams. They also offer the N+ for £172, plus £100 for the exam. Both of these are evening courses. Your local tech college may do something similar.

Other routes to go would be thru self-study which is cheaper still, however self-study isn't for everyone. Self-study depending on the course is the price of a good book (i.e. Mike Meyers, or Sybex, etc) and maybe an old PC or two for the A+, or some old Switches/Hubs etc for the Network+. You may even be able to pick them up for free from your company, or friends.

Hope this helps.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. phoenix510

phoenix510 Byte Poster

Typical me must look before you leap, have already started 271 just waiting to sit the exam after passing my mock with a training provider (mention no names). Then hopefully move on to 272 to be completed by sept when i embark on my A+ cse all bums about face I now read :blink . Simon looking forward to the visit have done a dummy run ... got the dates mixed up :oops: must be studying to hard.

Certifications: ECDL, MOS WORD & Excel, MCDST
    WIP: A+ & 70-270
  11. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  12. Kitkatninja

Hi Arroryn

The A+ for women is the same as the normal A+ course, however Tresham has found that some women pref to study along side other women for whatever reason. Tresham is only providing a service where there is a need.

Tresham teaches most IT Professional courses from the A+ to CISCO to the MCSA. I believe that they are planning to go as far as the MCSE soon.

To tell the truth, I've only just started there as a part-time lecturer in the evenings, currently teaching the MCDST then covering part of the A+ in April (as well as being a former IT Tech there). So I'm kinda partial to Tresham (if I'm any good, they'll keep me on, if not, oh well :biggrin ), and besides I know the quality of the other trainers there and they are good, qualified in the field that they teach.

Anyway the best person/people to contact regarding the IT professional courses at Tresham would be either Andrew Bailey or Dean Mitchell. If you want to contact them either ring Tresham or PM me and I'll give you their e-mail addresses.

Hope this helps :D .

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  13. Mr.Cheeks

Does anyone know about the courses in Birmingham area? I have done a search through some colleges but the prospetus guide are either not up2date or no good! :(

14. Kitkatninja

Sorry TheCheekMaster, I don't really know, but I did do a quick search. Have you tried South Birmingham College . I don't know the price of their course or the dates (as it's not printed on the prospectus), but they seem to offer the A+ Cert in Computer Maintence and Installation.

Hope this points you in a right direction, or hopefully someone else with more local college knowledge will be along :D

-Ken

15. Mr.Cheeks

Wagnerk,

Thank You. Your help as always, is invaluable... I'm going to contact SBC re fee and also contact order colleges aswell...

16. Mr.Cheeks

I have emailed few colleges re A+ Cert... Once i recieve their replies for the costing, i will let everyone know...

Josiah Mason
    Cadbury
    Bournville
    South Birmingham

17. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Have you considered Interactive training? Although you don't have all the benefits of the classroom, a lot of people feel that topics "sink in" well when you watch or hear about something.
    You can also watch the training as much as you want and when you want.
    Just a thought....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  18. Mr.Cheeks

Are you currently studying Network+??? How are you finding it?.. whats your background. Obviously, you do not need to answer this as you may feel its personal...