70-433: Experience needed?

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by meridius10, Jun 4, 2011.

1. meridius10

meridius10 New Member

I am grading up from Access to SQL Server and am looking to take 70-433, SQL Server 2008 database development.

However, I've been told that I need 6-12 months experience using it professionally before taking the exam. That's impossible at the moment as I'm not using it for work.

So what's the low down on this? Are there any Microsoft SQL Server exams that I can pass without experience?

2. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Most exams are designed with experienced people in mind. That's why you get people moaning about questions on the exam that were not in their book/courseware, but you should know the answer if you have the relevant experience with the product(s).

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  3. meridius10

meridius10 New Member

Do you think it is possible to learn SQL Server on your own by using books and setting yourself tasks, to further your own knowledge, before preparing for exams?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  4. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

My answer was fairly generic advice regarding most vendor certifications. For specific SQL server advice, you will need someone who is more experienced in that than me as my exposure to SQL server is fairly limited.
    I certainly think it is possible with most subjects to use books and set up your own labs as this is the recommended method of learning for most things, as opposed to just reading books and repeating the knowledge parrot fashion.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  5. meridius10

meridius10 New Member

Perhaps the reality is that there is no 'quick fix' qualification for this.

A good way I found to use a technical manual is to find an ebook and split the screen so the application is on one side and the book on the other and, with a large enough screen, this should be feasible.

I may just carry on with my dummies book and see how things progress for the moment.

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The SQL Server exams aren't the hardest exams in the world, if you are good with SQL and play with the product for a couple months and read the training guide you should be able to pass.

7. meridius10

meridius10 New Member

Many Thanks for all the advice.

I have put any exams on hold for the moment and am just learning T-SQL and programming languages so will see how that goes...