70-291 - What Books?

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by webslinger2k, Oct 23, 2007.

1. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

I am about to undertake the dreaded 291 in December, having a Weeks Course before hand, and then onto the Exam - Before the course, I want to get as familiar as possible and arm myself with the best book on the subject matter.

I have found this one on Amazon - but unsure if there have been any revised versions released with subsequent service pack releases?

70-291

thanks

web

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  2. Ossian

Ossian Bit Poster

I have coped well with a combination of
    MS training kit -- the one you link to
    and
    Exam Cram (2) for the relevant exam.

Others will give you different suggestions.

Note there is a bundle of 4 training kits (paperback not hardback) for the 4 core MCSE exams (290/1/3/4) which is often better value than the single book

Good luck!
    Tom

Certifications: MCT, MCSE/A, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP, Sec+
    WIP: Not sure....
  3. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

Thanks Tom, I was just a bit unsure if there were later revisions of that book.

Thanks for the heads up on the bundle too btw :)

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  4. dazzy90

dazzy90 New Member

:morebeerhi there,

i too am (and have been for around 5 months now!!) reading the 291. It is not an easy module! Neither is it made any easier when you have a young child to look after when you get home from work...
    Anyway, I too am reading the MS Hardback book you link too as well as the Exam Cram2 book. I must say it is really tough, and one module i now think is best approached in non stop reading/practice exams etc for 2-3weeks solid! Then sit the exam as soon as possible. I intend to now do this to get the 291 out the way.
    Out of interest have you sat the exam yet? Did you pass? Were these books the only source of learning for you? Did you find them usefull??

:morebeer

5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

In the same boat as you mate we have a four week old baby so getting anything done is a nightmare. Also I have the exam cram books and MS study guides but I think they are out of date as subjects like WSUS aren't mentioned. I've put this exam back three times now so I need to get back into study mode.

I also bought a Windows 2003 DNS book as this exam is pretty DNS heavy so it might be worthwhile buying http://www.amazon.co.uk/DNS-Windows...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199796751&sr=8-2.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

You going to want the 2nd edition of the MS Press guide:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MCSA-MCSE-S...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199811593&sr=1-1

Reasons being in this book the GPMC and WSUS are covered and tested in the exam where as in the edition mentioned above they not. Also you will need some addition books on DNS as mention and spend a lot of time on the WSUS technet area.

Edit: err isnt this thread just a few months too old??? :p

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Newbie_From_Hell

Newbie_From_Hell Bit Poster

Sorry am i missing something i'm just starting studying the 70-291 and i see nothing about WSUS in the exam objectives ??

if i'm blind please tell me !!!

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSA, MCSE
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

With regards to the MS Press book on the 70-291 relating to WSUS, DNS and GMPC you can get these in depth from searching on the MS technet web site. Cheerio and best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

See here for the skills measured by Exam 70-291.

-Ken

Not breaking the NDA, as it's on MS website.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security