70-290 MS Press practice tests

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by nutsy, Feb 7, 2008.

1. nutsy

nutsy Bit Poster

ARGH!! So, im studying for my first MCP exam, have gone through all the MS press study book, and am now taking the included practice tests to prepare for the exam. Apart from a minor annoyance that some of the questions ask about material that isn't even mentioned in the book (no problem with a bit of experience and some reading up with google) things were going great, until i encountered a couple of gems like :

"The properties configured though Terminal Services Configuration do not include a user timeout value"

!?!?! WTH is this then! A pigeon?? :

[​IMG]

The question stated that users were disconnecting their session without ending it, hurting server performance. The answer suggested modifying the user properties in active directory to set the timeout value, which adds a little more complexity than is needed.

Another example, a question mentioned several stand alone servers and then had two exactly identical answers mentioning domain policy for driver signing. Only one of which, apparently, was correct. Domain policy on a standalone pc ? i think you got that confused with local policy, guys. :rolleyes:

ARGH! thats not all, so many of the questions are obscurly written, or vauge, or lacking information that i often find I'll be second guessing my years of experience in a vauge hope that i might be able to enter the twisted thinking of the question writer and guess what he was actually asking!

Sorry to come on here and rant in a first post, but I'm getting a little frustrated - I have my exam booked on tuesday, and Failing practice tests because of blatently incorrect questions is not a pleasant revision experience! :x

Is the actual exam as bad as this? are the measureup or transcenders tests any better? am i just being stupid, or do the certifications belong to some different parallel IT universe than the one i am living in?

WIP: MCSE
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

To be honest, it depends on the author. :)

Look at it this way... you may not have passed their incorrect exam... but the good thing is that you understand the concepts... you REALIZE that their stuff is wrong! That's a majorly good sign!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. nutsy

nutsy Bit Poster

Thanks for the encouragement! :) I was starting to think I was going insane...

4. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

any chance you can share the author with us? Just curious to know who it is :)

GL with your exam btw.

edit:

read your post again, suprised its the MSPress books you mention the problems are in, as not noticed people complain about that kind of thing with them before....oh well.

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  5. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

I suppose you are talking about Measureup included in the Msbooks.
    That is nothing compared to those in the 70-294 book.
    For them you are able to pubbish software to a computer, to block domain password policy at the ou level, to
    point a client to as SUS server using the user node's gpo, etc etc.
    I understand are free questions included in your book so you shouldn't complain too much, but when i see those kind a stuff i go mad.
    If i buy ( and pay) i pretend ! :x

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  6. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

I can understand your point of view BUT if i buy ( and i PAY) a gps navigator and it drive me on a wrong way, should i be happy just because at the end i find the way by myself ??

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Not sure that is a useful comparison. :biggrin The UK press is full of stories of drivers mislead by GPS units. The latest one is from Network Rail who say that a large rise in 'bridge bashes' is caused by this.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I am glad I came across the measureup questions from the cd on the ms press book as its a good prep guide for the 70-290 exams.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Have you checked to see if there is an "errata" on the website of the author that wrote the tests? It may have already been reported and corrected.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. nutsy

nutsy Bit Poster

webslinger : thanks! at the moment I'm not feeling too confident, but anything could happen - yes, the problems are with the readiness review suite included with the ms press book (second edition).

nicolinux : erk! worse to come :eek:

onoski : how did you find the exam, were the questions similar to those with the book ? anything not in the book that showed up in the exam?

wizard : I googled and found the errata page, and to my relief found a few questions i'd thought were suspicious mentioned there. The two i complained about above weren't included in the list though, so I may send them in after tuesday when I may have a little more time.

Thanks to all who have replied, you've made me feel much reassured. I thought it might just be me. I'm quite shocked the number of errors etc I've picked up on in the first book, i thought as a training manual for an exam it might at least have accurate information in it. I'll add a pinch of salt to my reading now and work more on a hands on studying approach for things that I find myself not so familiar with.

11. nutsy

nutsy Bit Poster

well, seems i was worried needlessly, passed this morning with a score of 928.. I can now say goodbye to the errant practice questions of 290, and move on to the even more errant practice questions of 291... :rolleyes:

12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

congrats on the pass! :biggrin

13. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass, nice score :)

Good luck with the next one!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Very well done matey.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  16. nutsy

nutsy Bit Poster

thanks all!