1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

70-290 Lab setup query

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 Exams' started by UKDarkstar, Feb 15, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hi guys

Was chatting with someone about to start 70-290 the other day and the topic of home lab setup came up.

Just seeking your opinions :

1) Min equipment for lab setup

2) Ideal (or best) setup

Thoughts and comments appreciated

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Last time I taught the 70-290 course, I virtualised it. As there were 12 people on the course I had to created 13 virtual machines (1 for myself and 1 for each student), as I recall the students had to work in pairs as well as access my machine. So as far as I can remember the minimum is 3 servers (physical or virtual, I prefer virtual for studying - different at work due to access to full real servers :biggrin ). Of course you'll need a switch if not using the internal virtual network and maybe internet access.

Hope that's a start to help you :)

-ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I used a virtual lab, as per the link in my signature.

It stood me well, think I scored over 900 on the exam :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Thanks guys.

I was thinking more about how many servers/desktops as a minimum and then as an ideal

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I had one server and one desktop. Don't think there was any real need for anything else if I remember correctly.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  6. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

In the MS Press book you could do almost everything with just a server. It assumes you have very little to work with. I would recommend a single server and a single desktop. There was only one part where i was supposed to use a second server and i used another machine here to do it with. It was for a terminal services server set up and to be honest it was probably a bit overkill to set up another server just for that.

I would download that Testout trial and watch the videos and do the tests on it for 7 days as it will be free, then i would suggest working through the MS Press book at your own pace. The Testout stuff will just bolster what you are learning and is doable in a week if you put in the hours.:D

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Thanks, I've already passed on the testout link to the chap who was asking :biggrin

8. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

I used Vmware server.

1 Domain Controller (Server 2003) set up using the labs in the 290 and 291 MS books
    1 member server (Server 2003 R2 edition) for messing around with security profiles, WSUS, RRAS etc.

1 XP client

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA