70-290 help:trouble using import user objects using CSVDE

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by jec69, Dec 4, 2008.

1. jec69

jec69 Bit Poster

Hey

I'm studying the MS press book server 2003 exam 70-290, and in chapter 3 page 3-29 exercise 3: Import User Objects Using CSVDE, it keeps saying syntax error on line 2 in command prompt. Here is the commands:

DN,objectClass,sAMAccountName,sn,givenName,userPrincipalName
    "CN=Danielle Tiedt,OU=Employees,
    DC=contoso,DC=com",user,dtiedt,Tiedt, Danielle,[email protected]
    "CN=Lorrin Smith-Bates,OU=Employees, DC=contoso,DC=com",user,lsmithbates,
    Smith-Bates,Lorrin,[email protected]

has anybody have had the same problem?

thanks

Certifications: A+ Network+
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

create three lines of text like this;

"CN=Danielle Tiedt,OU=Employees,
    DC=contoso,DC=com",user,dtiedt,Tiedt,Danielle,[email protected]

"CN=Lorrin Smith-Bates,OU=Employees, DC=contoso,DC=com",user,lsmithbates,Smith-Bates,Lorrin,[email protected]

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  3. jec69

jec69 Bit Poster

It's given me a syntax error on line 3 now.

4. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

You have a space in this bit on line 3 you need to remove:
    "CN=Lorrin Smith-Bates,OU=Employees, DC=contoso,DC=com"

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. jec69

jec69 Bit Poster

Okay here is the full error report in command prompt:

Connecting to "(null)"
    Logging in as current user using SSPI
    Importing directory from file "c:\user.csv"
    Loading entries.
    Parsing error. Last read character is 32
    Syntax error on line 3
    0 entries modified successfully.
    An error has occurred in the program
    No log files were written. In order to generate a log file, please specify the log file path via the -j option.

thanks

6. geevee

geevee Bit Poster

Yep, I'm on the same section and spotted the space in the book and thought that was wrong. Remove the spaces and it all works ok :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-290, 70-621
  7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Just spotted this, typos and hard to see spaces are the bane of an IT technicians life, so good spot all :)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  8. jec69

jec69 Bit Poster

okay I removed all the spaces but still getting the same error message. Can someone show me how to type it in notepad? Sorry but I just want to move on to other exercises, and this one is just killing me.

thanks for your help so far

9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

What happens if you copy the below into notepad into a new csv document, and then try importing?

"CN=Danielle Tiedt,CN=Employees,DC=contoso,DC=com",user,dtiedt,Tiedt,Danielle,[email protected]
    "CN=Lorrin Smith-Bates,CN=Employees,DC=contoso,DC=com",user,lsmithbates,Smith-Bates,Lorrin,[email protected]

Just a quick note, open the file after you change to csv to make sure formatting is correct

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
  10. jec69

jec69 Bit Poster

Okay I tried using CN=Employees command, and its giving error mesage:

Add error on line 2:no such object.
    The sever side error is "Directory object not found"

Now when I change it back to OU=Employees, it will add Danielle Tiedt to employees in active directory, but it will not add lorrin smith-bates. It will sometimes say "user already exists". Is it because I used lorrin smith-bates in previous exercises? But it still should move her to the Employees folder right?

11. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Ok, what I would do is do a export via csvde and compare the output, to what you are trying to import.

12. jec69

jec69 Bit Poster

It worked okay with the exporting, no errors.

13. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Ok, did it export a lorrin smith-bates user?

If so compare that to your import file (it prob will be different as the headings will change, but see if you can see anything that is different to your import file)

14. jec69

jec69 Bit Poster

okay where would it export to so I can look at the file?

15. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

use a command similar to below (name it as you see fit) -f sets the output file path

CSVDE -f c:\test.csv

then do a find for lorrin to see how it outputs, it may be working fine just cannot overwrite the duplicate, i think there is a csvde command switch to do overwrites, cant remember at mo, just do a csvde /? at the command prompt it should tell you.

16. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

"CN=Danielle Tiedt,CN=Employees,DC=contoso,DC=com",user,dtiedt,Tiedt,Danielle,dan [email protected]
    "CN=Lorrin Smith-Bates,CN=Employees,DC=contoso,DC=com",user,lsmithbates,Smith-Bates,Lorrin,[email protected]

You create employees and so it would not be a common name (cn) but a Organizational Unit (ou). It should be ou=Employees

As for the practice. It does have a mistake. I have 2 lorrin smith-bates in seperate OUs. Go to the OU in question and move lorrin smith bates to anywhere (e.g. users) and it will work.

17. jec69

jec69 Bit Poster

It exported her to notepad. Her name was on the last line, and there were no errors. So I guess it worked okay. I really need to read the VBS scripting that's on the cd-rom that came with this set, because i'm not familiar with these commands.

Thanks for the help everybody:)

18. Monkish

Monkish Bit Poster

I have as well,

and this is what I've learned.

Other than making sure the syntax is correct, the error on line 2 is because you cannot use Csvde to duplicate certain attributes if those attributes already exist in Active Directory.

the UPN ([email protected]) must be unique in within AD forest and the sAMAccountName (lsmithbates)

Because you have already created the user account Lorrin Smith-Bates, the csvde will give you errors. If you add a different name, it should work fine.

you may need to hit the refresh button in order to see the changes

Hope that helps.

Certifications: A+, Net+, Security+