70-290 DSADD stuff.

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by jef, Nov 27, 2008.

1. jef

jef Bit Poster

Very basic one here i should think...
    I'm reading the MSpress 70-290 book and I've noticed a _huge_ amount of general errors (not directly to do with the learning material, just the punctuation mistakes, varying upper/lower case for objectnames, and this is a perculiar one...

I'm reading chapter 5 at present, and it's telling me the syntax for a command, is:

DSADD COMPUTER ?CN=EB-2841,OU=EastBranch,DC=CONTOSO,DC=COM? -desc ?Sales Rep Computer? -loc ?East Branch Office?

Now, are these question marks just an alternative to quotes or is there somthing chronicly wrong? I know this book is written by 2 different people but there's no writing protocol whatsoever. similarly they assume that you've familiar with some fairly advanced features of Windows Server 2003, yet they will explain the most basic components of any Windows environment (Even from a casual users view), in epic detail...

I didn't mean to end up having a rant, appologies.

Thanks,
    James.

EDIT: I've just tryed enternig that command into cli (from .bat file) and it's saying it doesn't work, a quick sed command to replace the ?'s with "'s, and it works just fine... Is it wrong for me to be slightly irate?

Certifications: nowt.
    WIP: bits and bobs
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hi Jef,

Try the following syntax:

dsadd computer cn=Client1,ou=EastBranch,dc=contoso,dc=com -desc "Sales Rep Computer" -loc "East Branch Office"

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Also (can't remember where I saw it now) there is a list on the MS site of the typo's for each MS Press study book.

If I can find it again I'll post it unless anyone else has the link ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. jef

jef Bit Poster

yea i had a huge list of 20 in a txt file, I just swapped all question marks for quotes and it works fine.

I'm just a little annoyed there's this lack of quality from a book that's obviously going to make them alot of money...

5. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Have not come across DSADD command that has question marks in its line and seriously are you reallu using the MSpress book 70-290 self paced training kit by Dan Holme and Orin Thomas??? cuz the command line you gave above is just so wrong
    create computer objects, using dsadd by typing dsadd computer ComputerDN, where ComputerDN is the distinguished name (DN) of the computer, such as CN=Desktop123,OU=Desktops,DC=contoso,DC=com.

surround the entire DN with quotation marks if the pc name includes a space.. let me know how it goes.. oh forget to add its not wrong for you to be slightly irate

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  6. jef

jef Bit Poster

Yes that's the book, and yea, that's what i changed it to, when it didn't work.

Thanks,

7. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

You welcome:D

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)