70-271/272 - Any point?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Yosh1, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Yosh1

Yosh1 Bit Poster

Hi all,
    Just a thought,
    as Windows 7 is out and Vista is kinda established, is there any point doing these Certs anymore?
    As I understand they are based around the XP operating system, which is surely going to become obsolete isnt it?

Certifications: HNC Computing
  2. Col

Col Byte Poster

Christ, I hope so. I've just got my 271 recently and am sitting my 272 next week....

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  3. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hi Yosh,

IMO although Windows 7 is out, Windows XP is certainly not obsolete. Many corporations will stay with Windows XP for years to come, the following are my reasons:

1) Support for XP does not finish until 2014
    2) Windows XP is a stable platform and applications built for XP have to be tested
    3) The cost to move from XP to Windows 7 in a recession pushes a client OS refresh down the list of priorities
    4) My former employer finished their rollout of XP only 18 months ago

Adoption to Win7 has been faster by all accounts than Vista and certainly the company I work for have about 150 Win7 machines. But with around 2750 Windows XP machine it makes this qualification is still very relevant.

4. Yosh1

Yosh1 Bit Poster

Ok thanks very much for clearing that up.
    I shall continue towards the MCDST then, will get it done....oneday.
    :D

Certifications: HNC Computing
  5. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I went for an interview last week and that company still has 250 XP machines and even had 25 brand new machines still in boxes set to be deployed all with win 7 installed but they are going to re-image them with XP before they are deployed.

Also there is the upgrade exam from Win 7 once you hold the MCDST which is a bonus.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Not every company can afford to deploy a new OS every time Microsoft decides to bring one.

A lot of companies will still use xp long after MS stop supporting it in 2014.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Established? Most companies still predominantly use XP, and it'll be around for years to come. I wouldn't be surprised to see XP to some small degree in businesses even 10 years from now.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Jonny70

Jonny70 Bit Poster

9. Col

Col Byte Poster

Thanks for that. Am I to understand it that the 70-682 will get you your MCITP but that your MCTS will require you to sit the 70-621?

10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Not sure that I understand your question...

If you have the MCDST, the 70-621 upgrade exam will give you the MCTS: Vista and the MCITP: EST
    If you have the MCDST and/or the MCITP: EST, the 70-682 upgrade exam will give you the MCTS: Win 7 and the MCITP: ESDT7.

The 70-682 upgrade exam will upgrade both the MCDST and the MCITP: EST to the new Windows 7 qualifications (apart from the Admin one).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. Col

Col Byte Poster

Right, got you. Cheers.

12. Jonny70

Jonny70 Bit Poster

Sorry I'm a bit slow...did you get all your questions answered?