5 Days tooo goooo

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by laup, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, that's a pain in the ass.

However, I read on another forum that Cisco is planning to make some changes to the CCNA exam and that some of the ISDN stuff is going to be removed. Apparently, these changes are planned for June this year.

I don't know this for a fact though.

I wonder if anyone on the forum has heard something similar ?

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

I don't have any direct knowledge, but yes..I expect ISDN to go away. They took it out of the CCNP track. Of course they added difficult subjects so....I wouldn't count on it being easier.

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  3. laup

laup Byte Poster

just had a pop at a pass4sure got 89% thats me done on practice exams now heads fried,
    gonna go read up on fr and isdn again :>

Certifications: IC3,A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: CCDA/Job :>
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

laup,

Some general test taking errors I made when I took the 640-801 recently were:
    1. DON'T RUN OUT OF TIME. I was like left with 10 questions to go with 5 minutes left or something like that so I was rushing through the remaining questions thus increasing my chances to fail.
    2. Read the FULL question to get as much information as possible.

As I'm restudying to retake the 640-801, I'm starting to be able to write out on scratch paper not only the commands but even the command prompt to configure this and that. I hope this "technological hallucination/visualization" will help me with the retake.

I wish you luck.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

laup,

When I use an exam simulator, if it's possible, I ALWAYS use "random" mode because since the real exam is based on a pool of questions and not a neat block of questions. One way that I use exam simulators is to find weaknesses BEFORE the real exam. That way you can focus your reviewing before the real exam exposes the same weaknesses in the form of a fail. Your scores are similar to the scores I was getting on my Boson ExSim exam simulator prior to my exam fail. So if it's possible, see if you can reschedule for a later date. If not, then may the force/subnet be with you.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The reason why I don't recommend random mode is because an exam simulator can only accurately gauge your ability the first time you've seen a bank of questions. After you've seen a question, you'll subconsciously remember the question on subsequent occasions, which will artificially raise your score. Thus, the only time you are guaranteed to get unique questions is the first random exam.

Random exams are great after you've taken the structured exams (Exam A, Exam B, and Exam C), but you cannot use those exam scores to establish whether you're ready for the real thing or not. The only way to guarantee whether you're ready or not is by seeing a unique set of questions you've never seen before. After all, that's what you're going to see on the live exam... unique questions that differ somewhat from what you've already seen. :)

Hope this helps.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

BrainBeacon Michael,

As a Boson ExSim user, there's an option with a check box called "Smart Mode." From what I understand, "Smart Mode" suppresses the exam questions that you previously got right from being presented in future exam simulations therefore preventing the "artificially raising your score" problem.

As previously posted, I myself failed the real 640-801 exam with the subsequent level of depression that I'm currently still under. So for me, the "memorized answers" for previously viewed exam simulator questions helps me turn my "glass mostly empty" view towards the "glass full of something" view. In other words, put the training wheels back on to help with the recovery that even though I failed, I know that at least I still know something.

So I guess I could compromise and say that an exam simulator is what you make of it, either a "feel good" tool to help build up your confidence, or an "am I ready?" check.

8. BosonMichael

If that's the case with Smart Mode, then you're good to go taking Random exams till you run out. Sounds good to me!

Yes, it's good to pick yourself up and drive on. But if you want to test yourself to see if you're ready, then I'd recommend that you purchase another high-quality product to test yourself with fresh questions rather than just take the same ones over and over. I understand if you don't want to do so - it's just a suggestion.

I agree that confidence is important, but a false sense of confidence is harmful rather than helpful... and I promise you'll get a false sense of confidence with questions you've already seen. Last thing you need is another failed exam after you build your confidence up.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. laup

laup Byte Poster

Yes Michael i know what u means but as rh says theres option to be able to take the correctly answered questions out of the pool once answered correctly, if that werent the case your final percentage would be incorrect as youve had a so called head start.

I think im going to stop doing any revision in a bit basicly 24 hours untill exam and my head hurts :(

10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

laup,

Just to add to the well wishes of previous posters, good luck!

If you want to start planning for the best and you're unemployed or underemployed, try the following:
    1. Go to http://www.cisco.com
    2. On the right hand side, under the section called "Quick Links", click the _Partner Locator_ link.
    3. In the center column, under the "Find a Partner" section, using the drop down menu boxes, enter your Country and State/Province, then click [Search]
    4. On the following "Partner Locator" search results webpage, find a company that you might like to work for, then click the number on the right hand column called "Sites."
    5. On the "Partner details" webpage, there should be a section called "Authorizations:" Click on the following links:
      • Express Foundation
      • Express Unified Communications
      • Advanced Wireless LAN
    6. If you see something like "Sites: Specializaton: Site Details: Sorry, no data found." then they might not have the required CCNA on staff. So click [<Back] and see if there's an office near you with a Contact Info for you to possibly talk to.
    7. The CCNA is the required base Career Certificate for the "Field Engineer" role for Express Foundation and Advanced Wireless LAN specializations. The CCNA is an acceptable alternative base Career Certificate for the "System Engineer" role for the Express Unified Communications specialization.

Once again, I wish you luck with your exam and your career. I hope this helps.

Source:
    1. Express Foundation - Role Requirements-Partner Central - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/pr11/pr66/fe/role_requirements.html
    2. Role Requirements-Partner Central - Cisco Systems - [for Express Unified Communications] - http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/program/specializations/x-ucom/requirements.html
    3. Role Requirements-Partner Central - Cisco Systems - [for Advanced Wireless LAN] - http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/program/specializations/adv-wlan/requirements.html

11. laup

laup Byte Poster

thanx rh i managed to find one just 5 mins away from my house :>

12. BosonMichael

If that's the case, where that feature just takes out the ones answered correctly (rather than ANY question you've seen), then you're still going to see questions you answered incorrectly 2 and 3 and 4 times. So, a logical mind would think, "Hmm, I saw this one before, and I answered A, but that can't be right because I'm seeing this question again, so the right answer must be B, C, or D." Therefore, as I stated earlier, retaking ANY question you've seen before, answered correctly or incorrectly, will cause the exam to not be able to gauge your ability to pass the live exam with totally fresh questions.

Again, I agree that answering questions till you get them right is certainly a good way to help you remember what the correct answer is... for that question. But if you do that and say to yourself, "I'm finally getting 80%, 90%, 95% right", you could be setting yourself up for failure. Just trying to protect you guys from lulling yourself into a false sense of confidence. Understanding the concepts is MUCH more valuable than being able to answer test questions correctly till you get them right.

13. laup

laup Byte Poster

Ahhh yes i can see someone would be gettin a false sense of security in that respect. Totally forgot about the point of seeing a wrong answered question more than once.
    Understanding the concepts allows u to work out anything thats thrown infront of u. you are spot on :>

Well anyhow 4 hours to go :O

14. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

SO????? How did you do?

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  15. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Don't keep us hanging on... How'd you do?

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  16. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

*sweaty palms*

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  17. BosonMichael

According to the time... he's probably in the midst of it, hip deep.

18. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Drum roll:drummer :drummer :drummer :drummer :drummer

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  19. laup

laup Byte Poster

yuh i just got back in class passed with 898 was aiming for 900 but that will do :>
    timing was a bitch i was left with like 36 mins left and 40 questions, EDITED :>

20. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Congrats:cheers :rocks :beers2 :super :git :drummer

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!