256K to 7MG

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Aug 24, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well, the missus and I finally "took the plunge" and are upgrading our phone service, including Internet. We've been unhappy with our ISP for sometime but have just never found the time to discuss options until now. We've also been operating on a somewhat "primitive" level, compared to what most of you may consider "normal".

For example, when we transitioned from dial-up to DSL, we selected 256K up and down, which seemed fast at the time. Over the long haul though, I've found anything involving video just a major pain and when we've got four people at four different computers all hitting the Internet, things slow down to a crawl (both of the kids are moving out soon, so that'll change in any case).

Our phone service has been pretty basic. I don't think I've ever had caller ID or call waiting on my home phone. The package we're getting through our local phone company provides all the "bells and whistles" with a price tag that fits our budget.

The phone service upgrade will happen tomorrow but the Internet piece won't go into effect until Thursday at 5 p.m. my time. Just thought I'd make the announcement that I was finally entering the 21st Century. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I was about to say welcome to 21st Century Trip, then again it took me 2 years to upgrade from 2mb to 10mb :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats, lol... I'm just waiting for Virgin to upgrade my 4Mb line to the 10Mb line for free :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

D'oh just checked, already on the 10Mb line :oops:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Aaaah well, ground swallow up time, then hey? :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Finally Trip! it's about time:twisted::biggrin. Same here last year I went from 5mb to 7mb as it was the standard DSL connection. Price remained the same though.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I'd think going from 256K to 7MB might be considered the bigger jump. The package that we purchased gave us the option of selecting either 1.5MB (silver) or 7MB (platinum). Natch, we went for the higher speed. The provider offers 12MB and 20MB speeds as well, but at a substantial increase in price. Of course, my greedy nature would love to have the fastest speed possible, but it's wise to buy only what you can afford.

8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Silver and Platinum, uh-oh sounds a bit like an AOhell subscriber please can you rest our minds that your not.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That's true, it's that my isp started to offer the 7MB line for the price of 5MB. It's a whole competition thing here. Most of the ISP here started offering 7MB instead of 5MB for the same price so I decided to switch over.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

: pushes reset button :

No worries. I hate AOL and would never sign with them. :wink:

11. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Congrats for scraping yourself into this Century :)

*checks*

Yup. Still just using a USB dongle :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  12. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

my 8mb only connects @ 2 due to the distance i'm from my exchange, can't wait till its fibre :(

biggest jump i made was from 56k dial up at home to the E3 connection i had in my bedroom at uni :)

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No wonder I'm catching up to your post count... it takes you forever to load forum threads! :twisted:

Congrats! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Personally I'm on an 8Mbps line though I live only ~30metres from the exchange so it works at full speed :D:D

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Dumb, dumb, dumb! When the guy sold me on this plan, he said I'd just have to reboot my DSL modem and the new service would be in place. Wrong, wrong, wrong! It had been so long that I'd forgotten what I originally had to do to set up the modem in the first place.

It was still pointing to the old ISP with their username and password. We had to reset the thing to factory defaults, he had to go get me a valid username and password and the whole thing took 30 minutes. *Then* he said that he advices waiting 3 days before calling back to set up email services...WTF??? Does that make any sort of sense?

This happened after I called the support line previously. Their voice mail system tested the line, discovered there were no problems and asked if I wanted to be connected to my ISP rep. I told the robot "Yes" but then was transferred to the old ISP. I quickly hung up and called the robot back, went through the script again and this time, the robot detected and problem on my line and gave me to a human being.

The service rep spoke with something of an accent, which made it hard for me to understand him from time to time. He wanted me to turn off all the computers in the house except the one directly connected to the modem. *sigh*

EDIT: Sorry...my daughter needed a ride to work.

Anyway, I went ahead and shut down to PCs just for giggles. When he told me to open Internet Explorer, I didn't have the heart to tell him I was working with Firefox on Linux.

We've got Internet and it really is a lot faster. I didn't get a lot of sleep, so I'll probably surf a bit before taking a nap. Will have to get up to get her from work at 10.

16. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I think another issue has come up. I'm not getting any email on my wiredwriter.net domain (my web and mail server sit on my desk). I'm wondering if the new ISP is blocking it...:eek:

18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Have you set up port forwarding.. incoming SMTP and web requests port 25 and 80 to the IP of your web server James? :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How does your email route to your mail server? If the MX records go to server directly then they will have to be updated with the new static IP you have been given by the ISP.

This is where the email is currently going to...

Code:
    Non-authoritative answer
    Name:    mail.wiredwriter.net
    Address:  75.174.58.144

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

An external DNS services handles my DNS for web and mail. I did port forwarding on the DSL modem for ports 25 and 80. I'll take for granted that it'll be awhile before emails start coming in, but I did a test and I can't send emails, either. I tried sending to my yahoo account (which is good) and it immediately bounced.