2006 Test Queries.

Discussion in 'A+' started by superal, Jan 30, 2007.

1. superal

superal Bit Poster

Hi guys, I booked my A+ for early March. I just have a few questions regarding a clarification/comparison with the older 2003 versions.

I have self studied the Mike Meyers 5th Edition All in One, and taken a speedy 10 day tutor lead accelerated course too. I am unclear on a number of issues. I have signed up for the Essentials (220 -601) and IT Technician (220-602). Are these exams the same as the older 2003 exams?

Also have the actual practicalities of the test changed in any way?
    i.e. number of questions, duration, pass mark etc.

Essentially I am under the impression that if you have studied the MM A+ 5th Edition book you should be covered either way... is this a safe assumption to make?

Cheers

Al

Certifications: None in IT
    WIP: MCSE possibly maybe!?
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Nope :( The 5th edition covers the 2003 objectives i think it will be 90% ok for the essentials but for the IT Technician you going to have to do something...

You got two options:

Either change your exams to the 2003 ones (OS and Core) OR
    Buy 2 new books and do the new exams so you make sure you cover all the material.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. superal

superal Bit Poster

Aha. That's worrying... Does that mean all those who have taken their A+ previously will not be as knowledgeable or as qualified as those taking the 2006 exams?

I understood It was simply a restructuring of the course with emphasis on different modules rather than entirely new content?

In any case what books do you then recommend for these new objectives?

Thanks for the help.

Al

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

2003 A+ folks will be just as knowledgeable and/or qualified as 2006 A+ folks... just not on the newest technologies.

That said... I've never been asked what year I took my A+. :p And any tech who doesn't stay on top of new technologies regardless of certification deserves what he/she gets.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thats a bit of a problem cause i dont think many or any books have arrived in the uk for those exams but from amazon US this book

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. MattW

MattW Bit Poster

Hi,

I just recently started studying for the A+ 2006 exams and managed to get a copy of the Mike Myers 6th edition from http://www.pcworld-books.co.uk/

It was in stock and arrived after about 2 days and I got it with 20% off too.

Hope this is of use

Certifications: None - YET !
    WIP: A+
  8. superal

superal Bit Poster

Good Stuff guys. Thanks for all the info... Ordered the 6th Mike Meyers Book and the Sybex one just in case. Hopefully they arrive soon!

Cheers

AL