2 vnics on one physical?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by dales, Jan 28, 2009.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

I've got a quick question about esxi. I've got a PE sc440 with 1 network card which at the moment has one 1vnic and 1 vswitch created for it. I've had a play and can create a second vswitch but cannot find a way of creating a 2nd vnic pointing to the one physical nic. is this possible to do or shall I just bung in a new network card and create one from that.

I created the vswitch through the VI client and went to add the vnic to the new switch thinking it might just duplicate it but instead it warned that it would remove it from the first switch and put it in the second.

I want to test out rras for my 291 so would love to find a solution to this if there is one.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

In case anyones interested I asked over at vmware communities and got this answer!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing