1st Customer Satisfied!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Pheonicks56, Jul 14, 2009.

1. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Well done :)
    Glad there are still people managing to pull extra income in these hard times.

I personally charge £30 an hour, and if it falls between 2 and half hours I charge flat £40. The reason for this is that like 80% of computer repairs we do, take less than that amount of time. To be honest sometimes they take roughly a couple of minutes lol :p:twisted:

Anyways, may I suggest something to you. Get some website of sorts done, showing the rates you do, the types of repairs you do and a little background of your services as well.
    What really helps too, is to build a sort of "interactive list" of the most common repairs you might come across, and give them specific prices instead of your $15.
    Some sort of price accessment like in your case:

- Hard Disk Repair/Replacement -This services includes the following:
    - Repair or Replacement of the computer hard drive.
    - Clean Operative System installation.
    - Drivers and software configuration.
    - Complementary DVD with your specific computer drivers and additional software. (Freeware tools to record CD/DVDs, watch movies and a Microsoft Office compatible software).

Now, as you can see this can be subject of change, for instance if the person already provided you the recovery CD/DVD's.
    But, nevertheless mention that you are able to not only install the OS and drivers, but be kind enough to install software that of course the person will most probably need. This can be good freeware DVD player with the codecs, DIVx/XVID codec packages and if the person wants too, Open Office or any other suitable office package.
    I am sure they will come back to you because you did these "little extras" that you didnt need to, but you did. And this, makes all the difference!

That above was just an example of how you turned something for us as simple as replacing a HDD, to something more of a proper service, with complementary bonus and all.

We all know there is an economical crisis these days, but fortunately (ok for some lol) they break everyday for some reason or the other, and if you are servicing them and properly treating their computer as if it was your own, with care and love (:oops:) you can do very well!

Always do it, as if it was for yourself. :p

PS: Also, if you can manage to make a "scheduling" repair calendar on your website, that will help immensely. A system where people can book a repair for a specific day and time and a contact system where they can querry about what services you offer, etc...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, but you only get paid during the time you visit clients. :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Well we got hard copy orders to San Diego this week. We're leaving here on October 15th, so I've started the job hunt. Put my resume on a bazillion web sites and applied for a bunch of jobs already, lets hope something works out... Not as many jobs out there compared to what I thought there would be, I guess being here we are kind of protected from the economy.

Oh yeah and my second customers problem was the screen on there laptop wouldn't turn on, I tried plugging into an external monitor which did not work either, so I'm guessing the video chipset is kablooye, I gave it back to them and recommended them sending it back to HP for repairs. What do y'all think?

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

or could be the matrix thingy behind the screen.:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

amazing usage of technical terms in your diagnosis, gbl!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What is an Operative System :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

:p LOL that's good stuff.

I originally thought it might be the screen, but once I determined an external monitor wasn't working either I kind of voted that out. I tried the external on both a VGA and S-video, so at this point only the manufacturer could fix the hardwired video chip.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'm with you on this, that title makes it sound like theres a whole non-IT related side to the new business :p

Anyway, good stuff Pheonicks glad your little side lines going well!

and the discussion on what a tech should be charging for home IT repair has made for interesting reading!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10