VirtualCenter reinstall FTL...

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by zebulebu, Jul 28, 2009.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I. Hate. Western. Digital.

Been sick as a dog all day and just come downstairs in the last 20 minutes... to find my poxy VC Server has **** the bed - HD is screwed. Less than ten months old as well. Western Bastard Digital - that's the last you'll see of me - after having no problems with them for years, I've now had three fail on me in the past eight months.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I understand how you feel, I will never buy another fujitsu HDD. A few years back we had a whole batch of them die on us, one after another...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Does anyone know how reliable the solid state drives are? Surely VERY reliable. . .?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yay! Recovery console to the rescue!

(after replacing five files that is...)

Even better, I have my original receipt for the disk too, so I'll by RMAing that to Western Soditall tomorrow.

Now... time to migrate everything onto another disk methinks...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Installing VCenter takes an absolute age. I'm running the 60 days evaluation so I've installed two VCenter servers a couple of days apart. In theory I can take the primary back to the base build snapshot and reinstall whilst the secondary server looks after things. A few days later do the same with the secondary and in 60 days the whole process starts again.

Same situation with my ESX installs.