Let your existing certs and work experience work for you...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Kitkatninja, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

OK we've all seen these degree/diploma mills that offer degrees & diploma's that aren't worth the paper their written on.

So you're probably wondering what I'm on about, right?

Well, doing some research on education, see some of my previous threads (this for example). I found this from City & Guilds: Senior Awards.

There are 4 awards that they offer, the LCGI, GCGI, MCGI, FCGI. And the best thing about these things are is that that actually map to the NQF and are recognised qualifications.

The LCGI maps to level 4 of the NQF (equivalent to a NVQ 4 or Master Craftsman in Europe)
    The GCGI maps to level 6 of the NQF (equivalent to a British Honours degree)
    The MCGI maps to level 7 of the NQF (equivalent to a British Masters degree)

Now these aren't just handed out, you have to prove that you have 5 to 10 years are supervisory level or middle management level (this is dependant on which award you go for), and you have to have a certain level of education to begin with as well as showing continuing professional development (CPD). And even if you have all of that, there is no guarantee that you'll be awarded the award that you apply for.

OK, next question is "How can City & Guilds do this?" Well, City & Guilds have been in operation since 1878 and was given Royal Chartered status in 1900 - to provide the means and motivation for individuals, corporations and communities to achieve their goals via education and training - that's how.

Another question may be "If it's like a Honours/Master degree, why don't they just use those titles?" I believe it is because these awards are vocational and not academic, however do not be fooled - vocational qualifications are not inferior. Just check out the NQF here, the UK Government has the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) that all recognised qualifications map to.

OK, some people may say what is this NQF and is this accepted by the QCA? Well the "QCA regulates the public examination system, so that it is responsive to the needs of learners and society and is responsible for the development, delivery and administration of high-quality national tests" and they are the ones that regulate the NQF*

Another bit of information that may be useful to some :)

-Ken

References:
    First, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

A world of difference?

"We are trying to stem the national wastage where people stop at NVQ level 2 and think it's enough," he says.

"In France, Germany, Switzerland and Austria a level 3 equivalent is the norm." The new qualification would slot in as a level 4 equivalent.

It is actually a variant of an existing qualification: the City & Guild licentiateship (LCGI). UK Skills has the awarding body's full approval for tweaking and renaming its LCGI and deciding who gets it in its WCP form.
    The LCGI requires its holders to have been working for at least five years at a particular occupation and to demonstrate advanced levels of skill. Similarly, Hall envisages that those winning world-class practitioner status will have had a few years' experience in their trade. They will be required to undergo a year's training on evening and weekend courses to hone their skills and to adopt the WCP's six criteria into their working lives....

Here's the rest of the article.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security