Windows 7: 83% Of Businesses Won't Deploy Next Year

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Windows 7: 83% Of Businesses Won't Deploy Next Year

Microsoft may need to keep its Windows XP operating system around a little longer—at least for its deep-pocketed corporate customers.

Mainstream support for XP ends Tuesday but, in news that bodes ill for Redmond and the broader PC industry, new data first obtained by InformationWeek indicates that only a small percentage of businesses plan to migrate to Windows 7 in its first year of availability.

Economic concerns and worries about compatibility—the bugbear that doomed Vista in the corporate market—will keep Windows 7 on the shelf for all but a handful of enterprises until at least 12 months after the OS becomes available later this year or early next, depending on Microsoft's release schedule.

"Early beta testers are providing many glowing reports about the functionality and performance of Windows 7, especially compared to Windows Vista," note market watchers at Dimensional Research, in a survey that will be released this week. "But is corporate IT excited about the new operating system, or do they dread yet another release?"

Read the rest of the article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. JK2447
      JK2447
      I work for a blue chip and we won't even bother installing Windows 7 in our labs for at least a year after it goes live never mind rolling it out across the business. I think Microsoft is a victim of its own success in that, compared to Vista, XP has very low system requirements and, in this day and age where IT budgets are being slashed, means businesses can get away with a low cost low spec desktop for 99% of staff. Obviously its not entirely cost driven, compatibility of legacy software, familiarity of the GUI, and general user satisfaction play a big part in a decision to roll out a new Operating System.
      Its my prediction that Windows 7 will predominately be a home Operating system for a number of years regardless of how warm its current reception is. I also believe that to conquer the corporate desktop market once again, its proposed cloud Operating System is its best bet. And thus ends my 5 minute break from my 70-291 studies, back to studying. Cheers
      James
    2. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      We're planning on deploying Win7 next year (summer) at our place, by then SP will be out and the initial bugs will have been found :)

Sounds like a poll coming on :)

-Ken
    3. JK2447
      JK2447
      Wow really? Maybe our place isn't as cutting edge as I'd thought ha ha although we do have a considerable number of desktops (386,000 employee's) which could be why we aren't following suit but I stand corrected
    4. Sparky
      Sparky
      When I was at IBM (many years ago!) we stuck with Windows 2000 after XP was released. It was only when SP2 was released then the desktops started to get migrated.
    5. JK2447
      JK2447
      Hi Sparky, well done on the promotion by the way, I think when you are a really big company its that much more expensive to upgrade isn't it. It will be interesting to see if users on this forum make the results of Mr Wagner's (congrats to you also Ken) poll come out close to 83% as stated in the article
    6. Sparky
      Sparky
      Cheers mate. 8)

I dont see any of my customers migrating over to Vista so it really depends if it is worth moving to Windows 7 or not. Some of the hardware is starting to get fairly old and can just about handle XP so moving to Windows 7 would be a full desktop refresh.
    7. JK2447
      JK2447
      Definitely not gonna happen in the current climate isn't it. I think there's a good chance though that when the dust has settled Vista could find itself bypassed altogether for Windows 7, if the hype is anything to go by
    8. onoski
      onoski
      This is just another marketing plow from Microsoft to get mainstream businesses onto Vista.

I personally think this would not materialise till about three years from now.
    9. Sparky
      Sparky
      Yup, I can see many companies skipping Vista but considering a switch to Windows 7. Some of Vista networks I have worked on for one off contracts have had a few problems, for example some of the laptops had 512MB RAM and the users wondered why the laptops were slow. :rolleyes:
    10. onoski
      onoski

Customers, needs lots of enlightment, LOL:)
    11. Sparky
      Sparky
      Yup, but a laptop shipped with Vista and only 512MB of RAM is a joke.
    12. onoski
      onoski
      It truly is a crime and a joke, bet brand is HP or Dell:)
    13. JK2447
      JK2447
      I laughed when I bought my state of the art Sony Vaio Laptop about a year and a half ago, dual core, blue ray the lot and 4GB of memory with Vista Home Premium installed. Can you guess what I'm going to say next? Thats right, I nearly took it back thinking a "tech guy" had robbed a gig out of my machine because stupid Vista Home only recognised 3GB of RAM!!! MS programmers didn't envision anyone having more than 3 GB of RAM when they shipped Vista H P!!!! :p
    14. Sparky
      Sparky
      Unfortunatley a limit on a 32bit OS. You sould be fine with 3GB unless your running Norton AV or something like that. :biggrin
    15. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      After the whole Vista thing, I can only imagine that whenever business hear about Windows 7 being released, they go through some sort of PTSD panic attack. :eek:
    16. craigie
      craigie
      Some of our customers laptops have a whopping 256MB Ram, Dell D410 what an amazing bit of kit!

We actually have to disable the wireless card to stop it taking so much Ram, otherwise the lappie doesnt even function with XP.

Vista? no chance until a full Tech Refresh.