Is MCDST out of date?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Rob1234, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hello Everyone

I am considering doing the MCDST course at a college in London one day a week for 24 weeks then do the exams, but with Microsoft introducing Vista I was wondering if the MCDST will be out of date I know a lot of businesses will still be using Windows XP so I’m not sure.

Also you can upgrade to the Vista certification after you have done the MCDST, but I have noticed I could do a MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration certification instead would this be better? I do not think I can do this course at my college though.

I would be grateful for any comments. My main worry is the MCDST will be out of date.

Thanks

Rob

Certifications: A few.
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No the MCDST cert/qual will not be out of date any time soon. Heck some people are still doing the MCSA/MCSE for Windows 2000 so you don't have to worry. As for the up take of Vista, there won't be a hugh surge for everyone to upgrade at the moment, as there are still alot of software/hardware compatibility issues there.

As for the upgrade for the MCDST, yes there is one. It's the exam 70-621, this will upgrade those with the MCDST to the new MCITP: Enterprise Support Tech. For those that do not have the MCDST already, you will have to sit 3 Vista exams, them being the 70-620, the 70-622 and the third which hasn't been releases yet.

So put your mind at rest, the MCDST will not be out of date for a good few years (if the Windows 2000 route is anything to go by - a good 7 odd+ years, the 2000 route hasn't been discontinued yet :) )

Hope this helps

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: PGDip Cyber Security
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Rob,

welcome to the forum.

Ken is right - the MCDST is far from out of date.

Good luck with your certs.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Check out MCDST on the MS learning website - it specifically says that MCDST will not retire with the launch of Vista.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Its still very much a valid cert. 8)

6. Rob1234

Thanks everyone that has put my mind at rest. I think I will do the MCDST course.

Cheers

Rob

7. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

I am halfway through mine - so I hope it has a long life in it yet!! LOL

Let us know how u get on mate, and stick around for support through the learning process - plenty of guys on here have gone through the exams for the MCDST, so you will get bundles of help and advice if needed :)

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  8. Rob1234

webslinger2k How are you finding the MCDST are you doing self study or at a college?

How many hours a week study time do you do?

9. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

To be honest mate, I got worked up and thought it was a lot harder than it turned out to be (271 anyway) and from what I can see so far with my revision and preperation for 272, it seems to me to be very much a broad range of applications covered, which are the basic ones which almost anyone who has touched a PC has used at some stage. That then comes down to what kind of person you are....if you are a natural "tinker man" then you will more than likely find the 272 easier than the 271. If not, then it may be a little harder.

I have my 272 booked for next week, so fingers crossed I will be ready.

As for your question regarding Study time - that depends. I tend to do a chapter a night, or a transcender test per night, or a measure up test per night. If I am finding it hard to concentrate, I tend to brake the mock tests down and forget about the time constraints where possible. i.e. do 10 questions, watch TV for 30 mins, do another 10 quesitons, TV for 30 mins and repeat that until either the chapter, or the mock test is complete.....probably a strange way to do it, but it has worked so far....fingers crossed :D

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  10. Rob1234

Well good luck for next week.

:biggrin