What kind of USB connection does a Nintendo DSi have?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by delorean, Mar 10, 2010.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Odd-ish question I know but bare with me!

I bought a Nintendo DSi XL last week seeing as I was in the UK (when they are available in Cayman circa 2015 they will retail for about 752 times the RRP in the UK/USA).

I figured it would have the same mini USB connection point as my DS Lite, alas it does not. The DSi XL connection (which I am told is the same as the standard DSi connection) is a different size altogether.

Does anyone know what kind of USB cable I would be looking for for this? I ask as I doubt I will be able to find a USA charger in Cayman and the UK XL one will not work when I get to Cayman, just like my USA DS Lite won't charge here in the UK without the UK charger I bought for it.

I'm looking for just a USB cable as I have a USB to power adapter at home so could just charge it that way or off my computer when I get back.

Any ideas all? Would much appreciate any help, it's a bit time sensitive as I am heading back to Cayman soon. :cry:

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-DSi-Power-Charge-Cable/dp/B001NG9B4Q

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the links, I'd come across similar before but every time I cannot find out the exact 'type' of USB cable I need.

Reason why I need to know is because I might not have time to get one mail ordered so I was looking for the exact type of cable so I could walk in to a store in London and say "I need XYZ cable please" and would get the right one. Don't mind paying the premium to have it now over waiting for it to mailed and arriving after I've left the UK!

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

It looks like USB A to mini B cable.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Can't you just go into a store that sells the things and pick one up? I mean the USB cable for a DSi will be the same whether it was bought in the USA or the UK.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I just picked one up mail order, got an express delivery just to be on the safe side!

I got my DSi XL last Wednesday and didn't give much thought to the charger issue. Curse you Nintendo for making your DS chargers single voltage!

I went to the TCR Computer Fair on Saturday, which, truth be told, was a bit trousers. Not really much there and when I did find a store selling cables I was greeted with a "don't touch my stuff please" by the seller. Obviously he had no plans to sell anything that day then!

It's odd how having lived in London for a few years in the past that I've totally forgotten the place. Just ran out of ideas where to go. Maplin sprang to mind, although I have bills to pay and roof to keep over my head in Grand Cayman so a USB cable from there was out of the question!

Finally found what I needed here:

http://www.gadget-extras.com/produc...-1-usb-charger-cable-for-nintendo-ds/dsi.html

Got a Tri-Wing screwdriver too for 2 pounds from another store with free delivery too so I can open the sucker up and have a poke around!

Thanks for all the help everyone. :)