Seeking advice on maintenance job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by rusty155, Nov 3, 2005.

1. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

Hi all!

I would very much appreciate some advice on a potential job that I have an interview for tomorrow. As you might have guessed I'm having some difficulty landing my first job in IT!! Anyway, I saw this job advertised the other day so applied for it - my only concern now is that it may not be relevant enough for what I eventually want.

Ideally I would like a job as an IT Technician - junior role upgrading and building machines, installing and configuring software etc etc with possibly some helpdesk duties. As for whether the job i've applied for is relevant enough, here is the description:

"Maintenance technician required to work for small friendly and progressive company. No experience required. Must demonstrate an aptitude for technology, possess good general IT skills, good customer care skills and pay good attention to detail. Duties include the testing and repair of Mobile Computing Equipment. Will be required to undertake in house training on LAN support."

The company is primarily involved with Mobile Computer devices - the things used for stock control in shops and the little screen you sign from the parcel guys etc. The question is would this be useful as experience for future IT support roles or am I just better off looking for something a bit closer to what I want?

Any help would be much appreciated!! :D

WIP: A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This may make it worth your while. If they are willing to train you on LAN support, that skill set will be applicable to a variety of IT positions. Besides...they haven't offered you the job yet and if they do...you don't have to take it.

If you are having trouble landing your first job in IT (and who doesn't?), this might be your ticket in. I know you are looking for a more generalist experience but you can always move into that. Mobile computing is still computing. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Agreed - go for it, Would be an invaluable experience. I once had the chance for a similar role with DHL, and actually turned it down, as some networking duites came up at my work at the time that was more worh my time taking, but still would have gone for that job otherwise.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

ok - quick update...

went for interview and found out more about the company. It's a small operation, only 5 staff and initial duties would be the cleaning and reparing of mobile computer equipment, mainly just swapping components around to get as many working units as possible out of a job lot before selling them on.

As far as networking goes, seems to be just a small Xp run network similar to i have in my house, no server just a basic Lan. Duties will also include maintenance and troubleshooting of this when any problems arise.

Would again be grateful for any responses.

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It's a start.

:)

6. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

just heard i made it through to second interview with MD so fingers crossed!

7. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Best of luck with the job interview, rusty155. :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I say go for it mate. It may be a small network but it's still a network to manage. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's experience. Do your time, learn what you can. You aren't stuck there forever. This is your foot in the door.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. glytch

glytch Nibble Poster

I agree with tripwire, experience is key in getting the job you really want. good luck with it if you do get it rusty!

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: CompTIA A+