CertForums.com IT Certification Forum Homepage
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree2Likes

Writing the Killer CV

You are viewing a topic in the Employment & Jobs forum part of the Certification Support Forums category.

• Share:
    Country
    Wales Country Flag
    Liked
    56 times
    Drop Ship Lifestyle
    Quote Originally Posted by nancywilliams View Post
    Hi yorkie you took a good decision, Remember your CV should always highlight the skills you have and your achievements. Give less priority to personal details. I prepared my CV from a site where there are many CV Examples
    Have you now...

2. Posts

Liked
    0 times
    Whether you are looking for IT job or in any other domain, write a concise CV keeping in mind what the job profile demands. In earlier experience I found that the most of the people filled their CVs with irrelevant information which is not relevant to the job profile. Such as most of the time I found the applicants are showing some irrelevant job experiences. With these information their CV became a History book.

Liked
    0 times
    Great tips!

You can also consider these tips on creating a resume that will surely help you land on any job you want;

* Focus on Your Positive Achievements
    * Highlight your best points
    * Build up your image
    * Be specific with your job objective
    * Keep it short
    * Use the first page for your Job Objective, Skills, Accomplishments and Most Recent Job Experiences
    * Last but not the least, proofread your resume before submitting it to the company

The Coach House Slad Gloucestershire GL6 7JX
    Liked
    1 times
    Tips for writing original job applications

So how can you avoid making your application forms sound like they’ve been written by a contestant from the Apprentice? The following advice is based on an essay by no less an authority than George Orwell. It worked for him, so why not take his advice when writing your next job application?

Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print. In particular, this goes for “thinking outside the box” and “proven track record”.

Never use a long word where a short one will do. Keep your language simple and to the point. When Ernest Hemingway was criticised by William Faulkner for using short and simple words, he replied, “Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don’t know the ten-dollar words. I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use.”

If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out. Like great literature, when it comes to job applications, less is more.

Use active rather than passive sentences. For example, rather than writing, “I had a part-time job in my summer holidays” try “In my summer holidays I had a part-time job.” For the reader, it makes for a far more interesting and engaging read.

Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent

Break any of these rules sooner than writing anything which makes you sound like a contestant on the Apprentice.

Dr Paul Redmond is head of careers and employability at the University of Liverpool and vice-president of the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services.

Posted by Paul Redmond Monday 24 January 2011 10.46 GMT: The Guardian

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234