CV Advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by snitchdnb21, Mar 5, 2013.

1. snitchdnb21

snitchdnb21 Bit Poster

Hi!

Been applying for entry level IT jobs around Kent area's and had 2-3 recruiters ring me in the last couple of days about upcoming positions but had
    no good news from companies.

So advice would be great!

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I have only browsed it quickly but a couple of things stand out.

How can you have a predicted grade for a degree that started this year? Unless it has dramatically changed, the first year marks do not contribute to the final mark.

I know they have to be brief as they are bullets, but take for example:

● Initiative: Approaching and recognizing problems to successfully troubleshoot and rectify.

That's a standard thing that everyone says. You haven't given an example of where you have actually done this.

Also it's "maths" or "mathematics" and not "math's".

3. snitchdnb21

snitchdnb21 Bit Poster

^
    It was maths but must of spell checked because Microsoft word doesn't like 'maths', Will change to Mathematics

Good points!

About the degree I was advised by a careers advisor to 'predict a grade' as it would help against filtering lol, I do understand the point though and now I look seems silly.

Thank you for the read, I will change these and add to the Initiative bullet point.

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I think predicting a grade when on the final year of a degree is worthwhile, but certainly not on the first.

Maths if in UK, Math if in US ;)

Generally I avoid abbreviations on CV's, Mathematics looks better.

5. Rotage

Rotage Bit Poster

Hi

Had a quick look and the things that stood out for me were

In the interests section it is all IT stuff, now it is good to see that but I like putting on some non IT related stuff e.g a sport or hobby you partake in
    Maybe put in what components of office you are familar with i.e word, excel, powerpoint etc

Rest of it seemed ok, not too long and easy to see what you have and are doing

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA 2008
  6. FreshenUp

FreshenUp Bit Poster

Adding to that I was always told to put some hobbies & sports that are group orientated as well, gives off the whole team work thing I guess.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  7. snitchdnb21

snitchdnb21 Bit Poster

Thank you both, I will look at the Interests area and add some non IT related stuff.

Any advice on the layout? I put education above work exp. because I have no IT experience as of current (volunteering soon).

In regard to the Initiative bullet point to keep it brief is-it advised to just write a situation and which role it happened it? or just the situation?

Thank you all greatly.

8. Rotage

Rotage Bit Poster

I think the layout is ok, my education is still above my work in my CV so I don't think it is a an issue

Not sure on the initiative bullet points, I don't have anything like that in my CV I have only had Education, Work Experience, Skills and other interests. I think the initiative bullet points are more likely to be questions you will be asked in an interview so I am not sure if they are required on the CV. However I agree with ade1982 that you do need examples for this, so if you do keep them definitely think of some example.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA 2008
  9. snitchdnb21

snitchdnb21 Bit Poster

Thanks rotage. I just feel need something else to help demonstrate skills or its plain ol jane? Lol.

Thanks for the replies anyway, been very helpful.

10. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

Take those boxes off. Table format is OK, but the borders make is hard to read.
    Take out the notice period. If they want someone in 2 weeks, they won't look at you. Once you have got an offer, then you can hit them with the 4 week wait.
    I'll read it when I get home, but first impressions count and if a company get hundreds of CV, a cursory glance might be all you get.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  11. snitchdnb21

snitchdnb21 Bit Poster

Thank you.

I changed the border on the tables, hope this is clearer.

Updated.

Any advice from updated one would incredible, thank you all for useful advice!

Attached Files:

12. Mat_Col

Mat_Col New Member

You should only have one 'and' per sentence. Other than that, its better than my CV...

13. snitchdnb21

snitchdnb21 Bit Poster

:lol: Yeah its a bit 'and' heavy, currently changing the repetition.

"Its better than my CV"... Was sarcasm used here haha?

14. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

• Handling money and stock taking

Doesn't underline the responsibility of the role. How much money did you handle each day ? Reconciling the till ?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  15. snitchdnb21

snitchdnb21 Bit Poster

I would be there all day writing an average. Ill re-word it though thank you for pointing that out!

16. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Drop the budgeting further down the list. As a first line tech, you aren't going to be worrying about budgets. Ensuring things are done on time e.g. project management, which is further down your list, are much more relevant. If you can think of a better one, I would drop it completely. For example, I think "working under pressure", with a suitable example, would be a better replacement.

Same with your other lists under duties. Think which is more important, maintaining a "hygienic workstation" or "Working to tight deadlines"? Which one would be more relevant in IT (not that they aren't both important)

As far as I remember, there is no such thing as Office 2009 ;)

Bit of repetition in there as well - like safeguarding children training.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  17. snitchdnb21

snitchdnb21 Bit Poster

Thank you, I made some changes.

Re-arranged the order of duties in employment history made deadlines and customer related duties top and moved project management and workload prioritizing up.
    Changed Microsoft Office (2009 loll corrected to 2010) to Word, Excel, Power point, Outlook.

Changed "Cash handling/Handling money" to Cash register operations and payments?

As to safeguarding children training, it was the name and was required in both employment positions.

Will look at changing key skills example to Working under pressure.

Thank you all!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013