CertForums.com IT Certification Forum Homepage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CV Advice

You are viewing a topic in the Employment & Jobs forum part of the Certification Support Forums category.

• Share:
    Bit Poster
    Liked
    0 times

CV Advice

Hi!

Been applying for entry level IT jobs around Kent area's and had 2-3 recruiters ring me in the last couple of days about upcoming positions but had
    no good news from companies.

So advice would be great!

Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Posts

Forum Leader - Employment & Jobs ade1982's Avatar
    Country
    Wales Country Flag
    Liked
    45 times
    I have only browsed it quickly but a couple of things stand out.

How can you have a predicted grade for a degree that started this year? Unless it has dramatically changed, the first year marks do not contribute to the final mark.

I know they have to be brief as they are bullets, but take for example:

● Initiative: Approaching and recognizing problems to successfully troubleshoot and rectify.

That's a standard thing that everyone says. You haven't given an example of where you have actually done this.

Also it's "maths" or "mathematics" and not "math's".

Bit Poster
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ade1982 View Post
    I have only browsed it quickly but a couple of things stand out.

How can you have a predicted grade for a degree that started this year? Unless it has dramatically changed, the first year marks do not contribute to the final mark.

I know they have to be brief as they are bullets, but take for example:

● Initiative: Approaching and recognizing problems to successfully troubleshoot and rectify.

That's a standard thing that everyone says. You haven't given an example of where you have actually done this.

Also it's "maths" or "mathematics" and not "math's".
    ^
    It was maths but must of spell checked because Microsoft word doesn't like 'maths', Will change to Mathematics

Good points!

About the degree I was advised by a careers advisor to 'predict a grade' as it would help against filtering lol, I do understand the point though and now I look seems silly.

Thank you for the read, I will change these and add to the Initiative bullet point.

Petabyte Poster
    Liked
    85 times
    I think predicting a grade when on the final year of a degree is worthwhile, but certainly not on the first.

Maths if in UK, Math if in US ;)

Generally I avoid abbreviations on CV's, Mathematics looks better.

Country
    UK Country Flag
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi

Had a quick look and the things that stood out for me were

In the interests section it is all IT stuff, now it is good to see that but I like putting on some non IT related stuff e.g a sport or hobby you partake in
    Maybe put in what components of office you are familar with i.e word, excel, powerpoint etc

Rest of it seemed ok, not too long and easy to see what you have and are doing

Country
    Switzerland Country Flag
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotage View Post
    I like putting on some non IT related stuff e.g a sport or hobby you partake in...
    Adding to that I was always told to put some hobbies & sports that are group orientated as well, gives off the whole team work thing I guess.

Bit Poster
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you both, I will look at the Interests area and add some non IT related stuff.

Any advice on the layout? I put education above work exp. because I have no IT experience as of current (volunteering soon).

In regard to the Initiative bullet point to keep it brief is-it advised to just write a situation and which role it happened it? or just the situation?

Thank you all greatly.

Country
    UK Country Flag
    Liked
    0 times
    I think the layout is ok, my education is still above my work in my CV so I don't think it is a an issue

Not sure on the initiative bullet points, I don't have anything like that in my CV I have only had Education, Work Experience, Skills and other interests. I think the initiative bullet points are more likely to be questions you will be asked in an interview so I am not sure if they are required on the CV. However I agree with ade1982 that you do need examples for this, so if you do keep them definitely think of some example.

Bit Poster
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks rotage. I just feel need something else to help demonstrate skills or its plain ol jane? Lol.

Thanks for the replies anyway, been very helpful.

Byte Poster
    Liked
    0 times
    Take those boxes off. Table format is OK, but the borders make is hard to read.
    Take out the notice period. If they want someone in 2 weeks, they won't look at you. Once you have got an offer, then you can hit them with the 4 week wait.
    I'll read it when I get home, but first impressions count and if a company get hundreds of CV, a cursory glance might be all you get.

Bit Poster
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you.

I changed the border on the tables, hope this is clearer.

Updated.

Any advice from updated one would incredible, thank you all for useful advice!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Liked
    0 times
    You should only have one 'and' per sentence. Other than that, its better than my CV...

Bit Poster
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah its a bit 'and' heavy, currently changing the repetition.

"Its better than my CV"... Was sarcasm used here haha?

Byte Poster
    Liked
    0 times
    • Handling money and stock taking

Doesn't underline the responsibility of the role. How much money did you handle each day ? Reconciling the till ?

Bit Poster
    Liked
    0 times
    I would be there all day writing an average. Ill re-word it though thank you for pointing that out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast