GC placement

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by _omni_, Sep 13, 2006.

1. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Dumb question, but google is pissing me off:

Every domain in a forest (assume a scenario of >1 domains) must have a global catalog server, right?
    I mean, I don't suppose you could have a computer use a GC from another domain?

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Correct. It is the CG that processes logons so you need one for each domain. I think that MS suggests that You should only have a single GC per domain site though, but thats going from memory. I however have a number of DC's acting as GC's because of the sheer number of logons that occur at the same time each day in a school. 8)

3. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Ok, thanks! :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  5. iamme

iamme New Member

This is completely not true. A global catalog stores partial replicas for all domains for an entire forest that include the most looked up searches. All you need is 1 global catalog per forest and should have at least 1 more for fault tolerance. Go create a forest, create 1 domain, then create another domain tree in an existing forest. Now go open replmon and you'll see the global catalog from domain1 will contain a directory partition by the name of domain2. It is recommended that you create a global catalog in other sites and depending on the site, you may want to use universal group caching instead.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...d2a1-4e72-a54f-150483fa885a1033.mspx?mfr=true

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Congratulations on making your first post here so friendly and helpful in tone...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. iamme

iamme New Member

Sorry, I didn't really mean to see rude or unhelpful by it. I should not have included the "This is completely not true." part of it. My apologies.

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It did sound slightly harsh :biggrin

You do have to replicate the GC for fault tolerance if I remember correctly 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

NP - the rest of your assertion was spot on though, and thanks for putting the record straight.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)