Zyxel any good?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Boycie, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

HI,

My Linksys WAG54G is starting to play up. :(
    Well, that isn't quite true because it has never been right from day one. For the want of better english it "has gone bad" :(
    I am now looking for a replacement wireless router with say 4 10/100 ports as well.
    All the reviews i can see of them are good. The Linksys always seemed a bit unstable to me. Need to restart it when you made some changes even though it said saved ok. One version of firmware you could see the script instead of the HTML page!

Netgear seem to be good, i always use them on a broadband install. Just thought i would get your views!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

To be honest Boyce, I haven't heard of them before, but then I havent been looking!

I'm sure that they will do the job that you're after tho.

Personally I have always found Buffalo kit to be quite good and reliable.

8)

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Cheers SI. After a fair bit of looking no-one has anything bad to say about them. :)

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

my ZyXel prestine 652 security router has served me well for 5 years with pretty much no down time
    its coming to the end of its life as it doesnt hold the features im looking for, so hopfully updating to a cisco router when i find a decent one on ebay :)

Cant fault them mate, good luck getting the new kit sorted :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Oh, good! Glad to find they are worth it. Ideally i would like to have a Router with a decent in/out firewall so that leaves me with just Anti-virus to worry about on the Windows machines. :biggrin

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

The ZyXel had a pretty good one, easy to use, has some basic logging features, worked well, never a problem for me, i've upgraded to a dual firewall configuration now with my ISA server, but i got on just fine with just the ZyXel

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks for the input Phoenix.
    I am going to order a 660HW
    I'll let you know. :biggrin