Zune or iPod or Miscellaneous?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by delorean, Jan 31, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I'm looking to replace my old iPod video with a new device. Gut instinct says get the 120gb iPod Classic (I believe the Touch is still a novelty and will only become good once Apple improves storage size).

On the other hand, for some odd reason I am attracted to the Zune. I've also seen a few other devices that look good from Cowon and Archos and Iubi.

What mp3 player would you recommend?

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well some of the samsungs are pretty good, im referring to the ypu 1 and 2 models though im not sure what size as mine was only 2 gig, but im sure if you look on there site you would find something you like sizewize. I suppose its down to preference at the end of the day. Though i did nearly hit someone once when they referred to my mp3 player as a poor mans ipod,what a ****ing dick of a comment.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I like those little Samsungs, though the small storage is not good for me. At the moment the 120gb iPod suits my storage needs but i'm trying hard to pull away from the whole iPod thing.

The Zune does interest me a lot, but i'm not so sure of the 80gb storage size and the shelflife of the current models what with everything seemingl going touchscreen now.

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Bit of a Creative Labs fan here. Got a Zen and found it to be great.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

Zune 2 is due out soon, hold back if you can.

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I just got a cheap a$$ £13 MP3 player...plays songs...and thats all I want for now...its 2GB...I am still looking at buying a Zune though...wouldnt touch iPods if they were the only MP3/MP4 players left on the universe...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Ah ok, I wonder if the Zune 2 may feature larger storage capacity then. Are there any Zune 2 specs available yet?

The only real thing I am concerned about is storage size, first and foremost. The larger the storage size the better. Of course it helps (purely in a non-threatening heterosexual way of course) if the device is at least more aesthetically pleasing than Rosie O Donnell...

Thanks. :)

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've had a Rio Cali for years. What was important for me was solid state storage, as I take my MP3 player out running... disk-based players can't take the constant motion. With a 1GB CF card added in, I have about 150 songs to listen to while I run. No reason for me to upgrade to something snazzier!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Another Creative vote here.

I've got the Zen Xtra and have had my 60Gb one for about three years now without a problem.

I had the 30Gb model for a year before that and it broke about two weeks before the warranty expired. I sent it off to them, not expecting much by way of response (considering I'd dropped it about four times at the gym) but they replaced it with the one I now have for free (double the storage capacity, more reliable firmware).

Big thumbs up for Creative from me - though I may ditch them for a Sansa when they bring out the 32Gb version as they're much smaller and fully solid state.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I recall when buying my iPod, I tried the Creative Zen but just hated the control system. I think the click wheel on the iPod swung the balance for me.

Now though I like the Zune control system but from the current rage it's not up there with the 120gb iPod classic. Storage being my priority it sets the Zune currently back to 2nd place, unless the new line of Zunes will have increased storage capacity?

I like the solid state stuff too but again i'm restricted by capacity. :(

11. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

I have a Archos 605 wifi, its a bit bigger than the players thats been mentioned, but your not tied into itunes:twisted:, 30GB version is a lot cheaper than the ipod, you can surf the web, listed to music, watch video (the display is great), and if you buy the the optional docking station, you can record tv, and stream media to your tv. Awesome :D

Just thought i would throw something else into the ring8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS: Windows Vista, Config, MCTS: Exchange 2007, Config, MCTS: Server 2007 Active Directory, Config, MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, CEH
  12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I'm a bit surprised how many people have downplayed the ipod. :eek:
    This is the #1 selling MP3/music player out there, and almost everyone I know has one.

That being said, I have an older iRiver MP3 player. It plays music - funny because that's what I all wanted :)

13. BosonMichael

The only tech I know with one is Josh. :D

Personally, I don't want to pay more money simply for the aesthetic design... give me the best bang for the buck.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I guess it depends on what your definition of tech is, but I know a lot of people who work in technology that have iPods. For my money, the iPod is the best bang for the buck. If you compare the price of an 80GB iPod Classic vs. an 80GB player by any other vendor, the ipod is cheaper. And, aside from possibly the Zune, the iPod is by far the easiest to use. Now that the Zune 2 is out, it's a lot more compelling than the previous version was. I like the idea of a $15/mo subscription model, which Apple doesn't offer, but at the same time, I also like "owning" my music.

I'm currently thinking about upgrading from a 40GB 4th gen to an 80GB 5.5 gen model. I have a flash-based iPod Shuffle for taking to the gym or running, but what I love about the large capacity models is that I can take my entire musical library with me anywhere I go, and I have roughly 40Gb of music and podcasts, and I anticipate this increasing even more over time as audiobooks and video becomes more prevalent. You may ask why it's important that I have all this music with me all the time, but I take my iPod with me to work so that I can listen to anything I feel like listening to. If I'm going to spend the money on a music player, I'd rather pay for the one that gives me that flexibility. And, it's only been since November that the Zune even offers capacities above 30GB, so for a while the iPod was one of the few devices that offered a large enough capacity for my wants.

And, I have a Rio Cali, too. It's a fine player, but I found the iPod Shuffle easier to use for my purposes.

15. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

i have a 30gb ipod video and and a 1gb ipod shuffle ... and now that I have figured out how to use 2 ipods on one pc, they're great!

16. BosonMichael

I brought to work a 4GB DVD with all my music on it... I've got far less music than you do. :)

I've probably got another 4GB that needs to be ripped... but who has time? :(

17. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

I got a Cowan/Iaudio D2. The sound quality is great. prices on it vary depending if you op for one with DAB radio and varoius memory sizes.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  18. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I got an ipod classic for christmas and does what I ask it to but I can't believe how lame itunes can be, it seems to have the covers for some of my more crazier CD's that I own but some of the more familar ones, it hasn't got, even after a front cover search!!! It couldn't find rhythm and stealth by leftfield yesterday!

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+