your thoughts please

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Nov 7, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK people this is not a hard question and hopefully you will give me some good feed back. Here is the scenario

Me and my group have to get a company a new computer systemup and running etc, ive got the control of the accounts etc an basically what we have to do is look at the current structure of the company and come up witrh ideas.

The fictional company deals in high quality vituals, which is basically quality old fashoined foods. Now the food they deal in at the moment is biscuits champagne trufles, cheeses, cranbdrrie juice, dried californian figs, honey roast ham, jams , peperoni and so on.

Now one of my ideas for this compnay is to add more to their menu as currently they have a stop start sort of way , they can be busy one day and crap the next, with the busiest time around christmas. Now what i need from you great people is ideas for foods etc, what you like etc, something that you cant realy get every day from your local shop etc . All ideas will be greatfully recieved.

Thanks
    Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Im confused
    what does that have to do with implementing a new computer system for them? :blink

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

shouldn't you be concentrating on the IT aspects of finance, and not sourcing new products?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  4. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Sweeties!!!

5. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Same question?

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  6. zxspectrum

Well basically, we have to design a new system for invoices and returns and all the other stuff that you can think of etc. The curent system is quite crap really. One of the main problems of the company is that their current menu etc is not bringing constant buisness etc. So as well as just doing the computer system i want to introduce a new menu etc of foods that would keep the company in buisness for longer and keep the biusness more constant.

OK the company isnt real but i want to get a good grade in this. We have tutors and lecturers role playing staff from this company and id like to put an idea to them as im sure this wil get us extra marks, and also other people may not go down this route

Eddie

7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Mate, what course is this for? If it's purely a an IT/development course, I wouldn't waste your time on designing a new menu. At the most, you could mention that it might be worthwhile expanding the product base, but at the end of the day, if you write something that isn't to do with the brief/course syllabus it doesn't matter how valid it is, it just won't attract any marks.

To answer your question though, fresh fruit and veg. I mean stuff that was picked yesterday not stuff that's been sitting in Tesco's warehouse for three weeks after a boat ride from South America. Farm shops and markets are making a killing at the moment because more and more people are picking up on this good eating thing.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Where?:blink

Have you got any wine gums?:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  9. zxspectrum

Cheers baba, i know what your saying but i think if i think outside the bx on this one then i should get recognised more etc and therefore more marks. The tutor is ,like that

10. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Is it an IT or market research question or a 'breath new life in to this business overall' question?

Halloumi cheese :biggrin

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  11. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Things like beef jerky and biltong, loads of people love that stuff!

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  12. zxspectrum

Its a bit of both really, we have to come up with a new system etc and i reckon also have to put some new ideas their way

I chose this one as i was advised strongly against taking the ECDL which is basically how to switch a computer on etc

13. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - the full ECDL is somewhat more than that - and does produce a cert!

It covers the very basics - true, but also deals with basic use of Word/Excel/Access/Powerpoint. I found it useful for these, as it gave me a rather more structured view of them than the normally hurried "I need a doc now" senario!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  14. zxspectrum

I know what your saying Harry, im only going off what i am hearing here. All the tutors involved in our education have more or less said to go for something more worthwhile to an employer etc.

The other thing is all the stuff like power point etc is getting used like mad in our other I S subjects.

BTW im interviewing a company (role played by staff) to try and implement a new computer system to sort our their current drab system. Wish me luck

15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Special Brew.

:unsure

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD