Your thoughts on Digital SLR cameras please

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Bluerinse, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have a friend that used to be a professional photographer back in the UK, he is now living in Australia near us - his wife wants to buy him a new digital SLR for his bday, as he has recently got into digital photography and is learning how to manipulate images using his iMac.

They are looking to spend about $1000 to $1200AU and have asked me if i could recommend anything. i haven't really delved too deeply into the SLR digital world but i know a few people on here have (Ryan) - if anyone can give me a pointer to decent entry level SLRs and what is the latest buzz in the ranges i would much appreciate it!

Ta

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well the two world leading brands in DSLR's cameras are Nikon and Canon. There are some worthy efforts from others, but they are the two most popular by a long stretch.

Not sure on your price range based on the dollar values, but I guess you are looking at roughly UK £500.

That being the case the two best cameras would be the Nikon D40X and the Canon 400D

Both similar specification camera's and both very good indeed. The 400D has been criticised by some for it's small hand grip area so that's something you ought to take into account. Often how comfortable the camera feels can make a big difference to people. So if this is a surprise and there is a chance he won't like the feel, make sure she can get her money back or swap it if necessary.

Also, there are some cracking deals to be had on the slightly older generation DSLR's at the moment. Especially the Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D. Again both very good cameras, and still extremely capable.

One final consideration may be if he has any lenses from previous film cameras, as some will still work very well on modern DSLR's. Obviously if he has a bunch of Nikon glass, it would be a no brainer to go for Nikon and vice versa with Canon. (if he went for the Nikon though, he would need a D50 or a D80 to use with old glass as the D40X only supports more modern lenses with buuilt in autofocus motors).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

To add on to modeys great comments, have a look around for some deals too
    the 400D comes with a pretty poor kit lens by default, and a lot of vendors are putting kits together with better glass

I know the D70/D80 came with pretty good glass, in fact its the same lens i bought for my D200 (18 - 70 f3.5/5.6), not the greatest but the build quality and optics were far better rated than the 350D/400D kit lenses

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah, the 18-5mm lenses that often come with these kits are built to a low price just to give you a lens to get started with.

The Nikkor 18-70mm is a much better lens if you can afford the extra money.

Nice camera btw Phoenix, I have a D200 as well. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks guys for your invaluable input, it is exactly what i was hoping for 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)