Your Desktop Screenshots

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Neall, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

how did you manage to install 12gb of ram?

Certifications: Bsc Economics, MCDST
    WIP: what's the point?
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Most Core i7 boards with the X58 chipset support 12 or 24GB of RAM and are triple channel with 6 slots
    if 24GB was cheaper I would have that much, but it seems 12GB costs <200 bucks, 25GB costs ~1000 bucks!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Mine rules:

[​IMG]

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Len

Len Byte Poster

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate, I'm a laptop fan, so my specs are slightly worse than yours!

AMD Turion 2Ghz x 2, 4GB RAM, NVidia GEForce 8400MS, 17" Laptop Screen, 23" External Display.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Spot on, 12GB of PC1600 Ram (came in two 6GB boxes, 3 sticks each box) was £230 give or take. So not sure what that is in dollars. All in all, I think the whole thing was worth the money, as I had reached the final point in my last PC where I could no longer upgrade anything, so in a way, it is future proof for a while.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

[​IMG]

Edit: Forgot to say its a work laptop i got just beofre being made redundant, it's a lenovo Z61e with Vista Ultimate 4gb ram and just adequate enough to run x3 vm's - and i mean just!>!?!

Certifications: Life Experiance count?
    WIP: MCSA MCSDT MCSE CCNA
  8. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

You don't even want to see my desktop, it is full of crap files i will never use again and the wallpaper is an image of a group of Nazis riding push bikes during WW2, for some reason i have had that as my wallpaper for months now.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  9. Torrix

Torrix Bit Poster

Nice and simple mmmmm

[​IMG]

WIP: MSTS & MSPD
  10. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Here's mine

Attached Files:

Certifications: HND Computing
  11. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Just black for me... don't have to worry about the extra resources eaten up by a background picture.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  12. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

this guy knows the score!

I've always had my desktop as a plain background also... not to mention the amount of icons i have on there, so the picture would be ruined anyway =]

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  13. Torrix

Torrix Bit Poster

how does it slow things down ?? Im not that "in the know" about that stuff :blink

WIP: MSTS & MSPD
  14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

wow, if your that paranoid about system resources I guess someone needs to enlighten you into how the desktop subsystem of windows really works right? I could run my 1920x1200 images with no worry back on a P3 (oldest system I ever had a big monitor attached to) that was when 512MB ram was maxing out the chipset on the board

its still drawing x by x pixels, they are just all the same color, big whoop!

its a static image!

Icons on desktop? hmm, Keyboard launcher all the way for me :)

Of course with Core i7s, Dual GPU graphics cards and over 10GB of memory, who really gives a frack these days?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  15. Shinigami

Granted, a desktop image won't cause much impact these days, it was worse a few years back when all you had was 64 megs of ram and the desktop bmp itself took 1 meg...

But I do a fair bit of RDP'ing back and forth, and not having a background image to redraw itself each time I move windows around, is nice.

I do have a pic of a car similar to mine on one of my leisure desktops.

16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Totally got your back on the RDP front, although even thats improved quite a lot these days, I'm pretty sure it doesn't do entire screen redraws anyway

you can also set it to not use the desktop background, in which case it just shows the desktop background colour

Think I have a nice background on all my systems, pleasure or otherwise
    I do like getting huge spanned images for my multi monitor setups though :)

17. Shinigami

True, but laziness sometimes prevails.

And a background pic, especially a very colorful one, can be disturbing when you're working with 20 plus windows open, spreadsheets, MMC's, notepad, etc... When I set it to a simple black, it's one thing less to confuse me when I navigate between multiple windows.

I used to always have a background pic in the past, but these days I just don't do it anymore. It's just something I don't bother with anymore. I just want to get into the system and work, not look at pretty pics on the desktop. Maybe I'm getting old O_O

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I liked the dream scene stuff in Vista, be nice if they could make it more useful in 7, would suck for RDP too, but something cool about having a live running desktop background, and it seemed so much better than that scary Active Desktop stuff from Win 98 :)

I'd love to be able to have like the BBC News 24 playing in the background with subtitles, be like im sitting at the pub lol

19. Shinigami

Linux does that rather well for 15 years now.

Active Desktop on Win98 was a crash prone pita.

Whilst a nice idea, a dynamic desktop may not be the snappiest thing around. I personally like speed and smoothness. Just setup a second pc with a jumpbox feed or whatever, means your performance won't degrade whilst working on the main box (granted, most pc's are fast enough to let us sysadmins use our MMCs and the like just fine even if we have a YouTube video playing in one windows etc...

20. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Linux could barely get the graphics subsystem working 5 years ago, let alone full on motion video on the desktop :)

I do like the fancy stuff it can do these days though :)
    My Gentoo box still plods along, but its an old system so has no 3d card, should dual boot one of my big rigs sometime i guess