Yet another newbie with some questions...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Nyx, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Hello All,

first of all I would like to thank everyone involved in CF, it's very useful source of information. I've found CF while looking for info about some training company which didn't look thrustworthy, well good thing I had doubts about it after all.

I have a few questions though, I am sorry if those have been answered already somewhere, but CF already takes quite a part of my everyday life since I found it. I have graduated three years ago in maths with computer science, after few less or more (mainly less) IT related jobs I have decided I would like to work with Oracle DBMS. I've had a lot of it during studies, and found databases, SQL, PL/SQL generally whole thing much more interesting than programming other stuff in C++, Java etc. I think I don't have to describe my adventures with jobhunting in this field:D (adventures seems to be waaaay to big word for it). So I thought maybe I'll save some money for OCA and that would get me where I want, but after reading few posts dismissed that idea. Thing is I wouldn't like to go long way round to get there, I mean through entry level support roles. Any advices? my oracle experience is strictly academic, and it's been a few years already, I'm not getting any smarter while getting old. I will probably go through support anyway, it's still better than doing any $&%t job to earn a living, at least has some decent long term prospects. All I want to say is I don't believe that a few years in helpdesk or PC tech will get me any closer to Oracle.
    Okay, enough whining, one more question:

Has anyone on CF actually been through FDM Academy? It seems pretty much what I need, any info would be much appreciated. can't afford it at the moment, but would work hard on that if it's worth it.

phew, that would be all, thanks if anyone got that far. if my post seems a bit strange it's maybe because english is not my mother tongue.

regards,

nyx

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... find another field, or change your expectations. I don't mean to sound terribly blunt... but I don't know of any company who would hire someone without experience, certified or not, degreed or not, to administer a database of any kind, much less Oracle... particularly when you're competing against people who DO have experience. Unless you've got an uncle who is an IT manager who is willing to give you that shot, you're going to HAVE to pay your dues and build experience. That experience will ABSOLUTELY help you when you get to the stage where you're administering servers or networks or databases.

I know that's probably not what you want to hear... but it's the truth, I promise you.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

You won't be going thru entry level support roles (even though that is one way), you'll be going thru entry level DBA roles.

:iagree

I agree with BM, and unless you can get on a graduate scheme (and even that take a while to complete) there are no short-cuts.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Actually I do want to hear the truth... I don't expect miracles. Didn't count for a reply like "Yeah come to me I'll give you a job".Long ago I realized my chances are slim, nevertheless I am not going to give up. Quoting Randy Pausch, brick walls are there to stop others. Just wandered what's best way to progress in that direction.

thanks anyway,

Nyx

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I love Randy Pausch, but you can't surmount or drill through a brick wall like this one simply by having a positive outlook. You HAVE to have the right tools, and in this case, the right tool is real-world IT experience by starting at entry-level. There are no shortcuts. Over time, you WILL get through that brick wall... but simply saying "I can do this!" isn't going to make that automagically happen.

Trust me, your chances WON'T be slim if you pursue this the right way. You'll only end up frustrating yourself if you don't.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA