Yet another MCSE to be Newbie!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Fido, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Fido

Fido New Member

Hi, what an interesting site!

Since I was warned of being made redundant I have been looking around at formalising my IT skills, as letters after your name open far more doors than just years experiance. Hence my notion of an MCSE..... and what a pandora's box I have found.

I have found promises ranging from of passing in 18 days at a boot camp in India for £1200 (inc flights and accom.), to having an attractive blonde assuring me that I could commmand £60k wages if I shelled out £3500 and made the grade. (Just before she got back into her new Saab turbo converatble)

So being a bit of a cynic I did two logical things

a) apply for a job with SkillStrain as if the commision was good enough to run a new Saab, it would keep a roof over my head and the landlady of my local happy for many years to come.
    b) do some serious research as Miss Saab has given me until tomorrow night (Friday) to decide as the new course starts on Monday -must be a pure coincidense that this is the last full week of the month, which could be read as a deadline for reps to claim their commision for the month. But I am sure that is not the case! :dry

The results are that SkillsTrain are not hiring right now, and thanks to this site and some googling I have not found any blog or comment (other than on their own site) that speaks highly of their courses.
    So my money is staying where it is for now.

Thanks for the informtion!

WIP: MCSE
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi and welcome, Fido.

Glad we were able to help, and good to see some healthy cynicism on the right side of the decision to sign up for a course. Hope you can stick around :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Fido. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

welcome fido...who's a good boy? fetch!

j/k mate! :biggrin

glad you you found what you were after on the forums and hope we can help in any future quandries. :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. Pedrito

Pedrito Nibble Poster

Welcome Fido. :beers2

WIP: A+; N+; MCSE
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Fido and welcome to the forum.

My advice, keep your money in your pocket and self study. Go for one thing at a time, starting with the CompTia A+ > N+ then go toward MCSE one step at a time. Start with the XP MCP pass that and move on. MCSE is seven exams in total and it will take you a long time to complete, it's not a race.

Good luck,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings fido :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome Fido! :biggrin

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685