Yeah, another new guy...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Ryuksapple84, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Ryuksapple84

Ryuksapple84 Bit Poster

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum as you have already guessed. I am currently trying to switch careers. I was a Ap. Plumber for the last 4 years and I decided that since I want to be able to use my back after the age of 40, I should get into something else. I am currently pursuing N+ and plan on getting my CCNA as well.

If you could give me some advice as to different studying tools and advice on what other courses I sholud plan on taking. I am trying to get into networking.

I am currently in India helping my parents and studying as well. I am also willing to help anyone studying for their Cert in N+ and hopefully CCNA later on when I get to it.

Thanks

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: N+, CCNA
  2. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome to CF.
    Everyone has their own way to study & often it's a case of finding which suits you.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome to CF

As Mr Nerdy said everyone has their own way of studying. I prefer to read books and highlight parts I feel important and make flash cards for certain points.

Just as a word of warning after your N+ try and get an entry level job ASAP because you may find it harder to get a job if you pass the CCNA without experience. CCNA is for people who already have experience working with cisco equipment.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Ryuksapple84

Ryuksapple84 Bit Poster

Well, I am going to an institute where I will have hands on exp. with routers, do you think that will help me land a job?

6. Ryuksapple84

Ryuksapple84 Bit Poster

Thanks Ken

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Doing the N+ will help you get a job but doing the CCNA as I already mentioned is for people currently working with cisco equipment. By all means if you want to try and get it do but it may very well be harder for you to get employement with out real world on the job experience.

We have had several posts on CF with people saying I have my CCNA but can't get a job this because the cert is only really valuable with experience.

You could get the cert and if no jobs come of it, take it off your cv untill you gain some experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Hello welcome

Getting into I.T is a challenge, you have to convince the interviewer that you are solid individual that is also responsible, and they have to trust that you can do the job and will ask you to demonstrate your skills during the interview. Be prepared, waving a cert under their noses be it N+, CCNA, CCNP or even a CCIE is not much good to anyone if it can't be backed up with hand-on experience. (This experience does not have to necessarily be real world although it helps) addin a vlan is adding a vlan wheather it is on a sim in your bedroom or in the comms room of a fortune 100 company, whats the difference. well, before you add a vlan to a switch of a fortune 100 company you will have gone through a million change control processes to make sure that adding a new vlan is not going to destroy the network, been there, done it!!

When you get into networking, and speaking as a seasoned network engineer of 12 years, don't think that they are going simply let you loose on a customers network, you will be shadowed all the way by a more senior engineer, you will be shown what to do and expect to repeat the process, simple stuff like add a new VLAN, assign it to a port, maybe create a layer 3 interface, all under the watchful eye of your mentor.

I have spoken to many people that think that as soon as they get a job they will be left to it, not in the slightest, you will be monitored and coached all you have to do is pay attention.

When you get the N+ get take the first I.T job that comes along and learn like a sponge stay for a year or two then move on, learn as you go along, If you want to work in networking above all cisco, you must show you know cisco kit.

cisco lab rat

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well I thought plumbers were all on £100k these days ? :biggrin

IT has its drawbacks too, ok so you're not out in the elements but you can be sitting stationary for long periods at a keyboard. This can be almost as bad for your back believe it or not. You can also add to that RSI and short sightedness as two other common carear related ailments.

Best of luck with your carear change !

12. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF 8)

13. Ryuksapple84

Ryuksapple84 Bit Poster

Thanks for the information. I am not going to be able to get a job right after N+ because I am in India helping my parents out. I will be back home in the US in about a year or so.
    I understand the bit you wrote about "being left alone with your work", I've been plumbing for a while and it was the same way there as well when I first started out. So that is not that big of a problem. When I get the opportunity to work in the field that I am studying for, I am going to absorb all the information handed to me, to the best of my abilities and I understand that mistakes occur which can also force you to look for a new Job.
    So considering my situation and regarding the 12 years of experience that you have, how do you suggest I go about obtaining a job when I get back and what courses do you suggest I pursue besides N+ and CCNA? Maybe Server+??

SM

14. Ryuksapple84

Ryuksapple84 Bit Poster

LOL! Yeah, I have considered those facts as well but trust me, I'd rather hurt my back from sitting on a desk then having to lift 350lbs on my right shoulder and take some steel pipe 25ft up on a rickty sissor lift right before my B-tank explodes on me. F*ck that. Plus, I found the work boring and the enviorment not at all conducive to intellectual stimuli. I also got tired of working with some dirty rednecks. I mean, it has it's perks. For example, I had a company truck and a cell phone and a credit card, but in the end I really wasn't happy and it really is hard back breaking work. I ended up spraining 3 different muscle groups in my back a couple of years ago and I was only 21 at the time, not to mention that my boss made a 2" incision on my right hand and I wasn't able to work for a week and forget about sick time or vaction time as well. Those things don't exist at all.
    But thanks for the heads up!

15. Ryuksapple84

Ryuksapple84 Bit Poster

Thanks man

16. Ryuksapple84

Ryuksapple84 Bit Poster

"The Angels have the phone box"??? Wow, I am impressed.

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. Ryuksapple84

Ryuksapple84 Bit Poster

thanks for the welcome