Yahoo rejects Microsoft's bid; seeks to restart AOL merger talks!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by BosonMichael, Feb 11, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Microsoft decision to acquire Yahoo wasn't too smart, in my opinion... it seems like a somewhat desperate act. But it's a smarter move than Yahoo acquiring AOL from AOL-Time Warner! :blink Now THAT'S desperation! :rolleyes:

Yahoo Rejects Microsoft
    Yahoo Restarting AOL Talks

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

The Time Warner / AOL was perfect. They can take all the advantages from that merger and apply here. Now this is brilliant! I bet Google is scared now... :blink

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

The MS Yahoo thing is not as dumb as it sounds, the yahoo rejection is not the smartest move, I understand the playing hard to get concept but they are treading on ice :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Why AOL?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

The prevailing theory is that they are trying to boost up Microsoft's offer. I think it's pretty clear that the management at Yahoo doesn't want to sell to Microsoft, but at some point, they'll have to unless another offer comes along, but that doesn't seem likely.

6. richardw

richardw Nibble Poster

They rejected the offer as they have to reject the offer, as it wasnt an agreed one. The directors & management have to appear to be doing things in the interests of the business, looking for alternatives etc
    Trying to increase the offer will be difficult, it was pitched at a considerable premium above the stock price, over 60%, so even with a share price increase, its still a good offer.
    Also, how much of yahoo do ms already own, how much has already been promised, & how much more can they easily get.

Certifications: MOS (Master), MMI
    WIP: MCAS, AAT