Yahoo mail and POP forwarding.

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by simongrahamuk, Oct 11, 2007.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I very rarely setup mail forwarding to a mail client, preferring to normally just use the web interface for my webmail accounts. However since changing jobs my new place has blocked access to most web based email systems, except their own :dry

At present I simply forward the mail that goes through my yahoo (and other) account(s) to the address of my works webmail, however I want to be able to reply to messages from the Yahoo account, and not the work one.

Now, I know that I can setup Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Windows Mail to go and pick up the mail for me whilst I'm at work, but when I am at home I still want to use the Webmail.

Does anyone know if there is a setting in Yahoo Mail to keep a copy of the messages on the server so that I can access them by either webmail or Email Client? If so Where is it? Or as I've just thought, is it a setting within the Email client? (methinks I can recall seeing it somewhere).

8)

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Interesting - I wasn't aware that you *could* use a standard email client with Yahoo. Although I see that you have to have Yahoo Mail Plus for this feature.

This, of course, has bearing on the question by kebem in another thread....

As for keeping the messages on the server - this is a feature of the POP3 client, so should be in that. It is basicaly whether the client issues delete commands or not.

I use Agent for my email, and arrange that when I access from work I leave the messages on the server.

Harry

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you not configure POP3 in Outlook and select 'leave copy on server' in the config?

Also is this not locked down at work also? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

That is what I thought I could do towards the end of making the original post, but I wasn't sure. As to whether or not its locked down too I'm not to sure, I do know that Yahoo uses different ports to the norm, so I'm optimistic! :biggrin

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Yeah, just about any POP3 email client will give you the option to leave a copy of your mail on the server. I can't remember using one that doesn't give you that option.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey - do you mean like Outlook or Outlook Express, Freddy ?

:tongue :twisted:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Yeah, only I thought they were called Kmail, Evolution, Sylpheed Claws, Thunderbird, Opera, Netscape, pine, mutt, etc.... Guess I'm just confused....:twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1