Xubuntu - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by juice142, Dec 11, 2007.

1. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

I was going to try the above but on boot up last night the system had some problems i.e. no task panels showing. I thought I'd try version 6.06 to see if that would help my wireless problem, so I downloaded it and installed it (seemed ok). On first (and subsequent) boots however it locks up at 'installing hardware drivers'.

Ho hum. :rolleyes:

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I feel like a mutant. I've had Ubuntu 6.06 running on a laptop, a PC, and a VM and although things have required some tweaking, I never had any major problems getting it up and running. Ubuntu is user friendly *most* of the time as far as I'm able to determine. :blink

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

lol :biggrin

In all fairness to xubuntu it's probably my old hardware causing most of the problems in this case! (no pun intended, it's a laptop) :rolleyes:

I burnt it at the slowest speed my writer can manage (8x) as I saw there might be problems and as I say it seemed to install ok.

I shall battle on!

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Why would you want to go backwards in time as far as an OS is concerned? That just seems counterproductive all the way around, especially where Ubuntu/Linux is concerned as that is a much older kernel with a lot less hardware support enabled by default.

It would have probably been pretty easy to figure out why you were having the other problem. I think you used the 10 gauge shotgun approach on a mosquito. :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. ffreeloader

On the Ubuntu install disks you can choose to run memtest, and a couple of other diagnostic tools IIRC. You might try those and see if you run into some hardware problems.

6. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

lol :biggrin

Absolutely right Freddy, but there's nothing to lose, only a little time, it's a learning experience and it's fun to boot! (sorry I'm at it again) :rolleyes:

7. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Yep, thanks, I'll try them when I have a minute, it they don't give me any pointers I'll just reinstall 7.10 and start again.

It's all good fun! 8)

8. ffreeloader

I agree that it's all fun, and if you're having fun and learning, that's the most important part. :biggrin