XP Vs VISTA

Discussion in 'Software' started by jamessimo, Jun 20, 2008.

1. jamessimo

jamessimo Banned

Hi All

I have created this forum because I wanted to get some of views. I will be starting my new and 1st IT job a week monday doing 1st line support. I have MCDST and have done 70-620.

Whilst working with and studying these operating systems. I have tried analyzing the 2 and trying to way up which one I prefer.

I find that Vista for all its newe technolgies and features compared to XP, seems to have less use for the technician than XP, correct me if im wrong or if you feel diffrently. Im basing that on the fact that Vista is a newer technology and is supposedly more user friendly

I wanted to get your Opinion's on the 2 systems and there differences and which one you prefer and may be what one you feel works better on a network or as a single user

Please give me your thoughts?

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCTS,CCNA,CCNAV
    WIP: ccnp,ccvp,ccdp.ccip
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

My own personal opinion is that XP will be the OS in business for the next 4 years, for the single user most people will buy a computer with an OS on which will be the most part be Vista.

I find Vista has to be on a pretty decent machine to run well, otherwise it is slow and cumbersome.

Also most businesses won't want to spend huge sums of money to upgrade so it'll be XP and server 2003 for the next 4 or more years in my opinion.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. jamessimo

jamessimo Banned

I couldnt agree with your more.

if your changing from XP to Vista like I did, you are not just purchasing the operating system you have to upgrade the hardware

I work off a laptop my lap top is 2 yrs old I ran the upgrade advisor it told me I had 512 which was the min requirement but i went and upgarded to 2G but I cant have aero :( as I dont have and cant have the correct video card

my Vista grade overall is 1.0 and im sure its because of this

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Personally - at home I love Vista for all its clever little tricks and gimmicks.

At work, I love the robust and no-nonsense XP.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Yep, I agree with that :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yep! Vista for now would suffice for home use and Wins XP Pro for businesses and serious home users:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. jamessimo

jamessimo Banned

For the business side of things I hear from a lot of people that XP is the one to have on a network, and they moan about vista, but I remember when XP was first launched everyone was moaning about it and having a dig at it, it seems to be the same with Vista

why is this I ask? is it because we dont like change LOL

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

its because operating systems are slight buggy when released although they work they are released and constantly updated untill they are retired.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. jamessimo

jamessimo Banned

I can appreciate that but isnt that all part and parcel of the industry that we are in :p

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There are plenty of things in Vista that are quite useful from an IT admin's perspective. However, the lack of vendor app compatibility (not Microsoft's fault) means that businesses will (and should!) continue to use XP for some time to come.

During a recent "wipe and reinstall" of my home gaming system, I chose to install XP Pro simply because there's no need for me install Vista and sacrifice 10-15% of my gaming rig's performance... and I've even got a retail boxed version of Vista Ultimate just waiting to be installed.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. jamessimo

jamessimo Banned

I totally understand as far as the gaming and the application side of things Vista needs a little more time
    XP is still the driving force at the moment