xp to 7 and roaming profiles.

Discussion in 'Software' started by theITguy, Dec 8, 2011.

1. theITguy

theITguy Bit Poster

Hi All,

We are using roaming profiles at work here and since we have been imagining fresh machines coming into the company with windows 7 enterprise we have been having a few problems e.g. drives not mapping correctly, offline files not working, permission problems , outllok problems , printing problems and so on. I beleive it is a problem with the xp profiles running on a windows 7 platform as when the user logs back into a xp machine all is well and working. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way we could tailor there profiles to suit the new windows 7 machines? from what I have read USMT will not be of any use as the xp profile will over write the 7 profile when it is brought down off the server. is this correct and does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I wrote a procedure on correctly implementing roaming profiles in a multi-OS environment for a large customer. The thing is that Win7 works in a completely different manner to XP when it comes to this. It can be more efficient due to roaming fewer data (such as ignoring temporary files for some programs and features), but also by building a new category of roaming profile folder when the user uses both XP and 7.

But to implement this correctly and safely takes some time and studying, i.e. understanding the feature set, interoperability and how the implementation should take place. Otherwise you will indeed end up with the issues you've mentioned above.

There's some decent technet articles on getting this to work, and a Vista based roaming profile whitepaper exists as well (might have been upgraded to 7 by now, but they're both very similar). You'll need to sit down on this one for a while to understand some of the quirks involved.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just finished a Windows XP to Windows 7 rollout for 400 odd PCs.

We staged the deployment and used Windows Easy Tranfer. Basically installed it on the XP machine - migrated the profile and then imported it onto the new Windows 7 machine.

When the user logged on the profile worked fine and then uploaded in the new v2 format when they logged off.

The biggest problem we had is that the users needed to delete and then add the printers again. Can only assume that this downloads the correct Windows 7 driver.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs