XP SP2 has been released.

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by tripwire45, Aug 6, 2004.

1. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

How long did you wait? If it's a big file, it might take a while to download, and it won't notify you until everything is finished downloading.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

thats true. but normally when update is downloading i get an icon in my taskbar. tells me what percentage. im not even getting that!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I got SP2 installed last nite...blimey it has made a difference...when you surf the web it notifies you of pop ups being blocked...but perhaps the annoying thing is when your going to download a program or something like that...a box pops up asking you if its safe to download the software....duh of course it is otherwise I wudnt be downloading it. anyway I think I will have a trawl thru it tonight and find a way of disabling that...hey make sure you check out Control Panel after install SP2...some weird new features have been put in...overall its not too bad but I dont think it will cause much problems...unless you have done them yourself that is...*lesson in learning for me I think*

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Oh and Fergal just go to the site and you can download it straight from there cos eventually it will check your system and bring up the update...cos thats how I got mine

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I just ordered SP2 on CD. Even over broadband, the file is huge and takes almost forever to download. Besides, I'm skeered. :blink

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i downloaded it this afternoon. took me about 20mins to download (got excited when it 'downloaded' in 5, then realised that that was just it 'preparing to download'), took forever to verify, and when i left it to go to work, it was backing up the system before installing. so when i return, i should just have to reboot and install!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well in total it took me about 15-20min I think...i cant remember how long cos it didnt feel that long really...but still early days yet guys...