XP SP2 has been released.

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by tripwire45, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Service Pack 2 Network install (ie the big bloody 270MB file) is available for IT professionals now at the Microsoft website (yes thats right, at the ms website)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

This may change ofcourse, perhaps the name of the file on monday when MS release the single computer version and distribute it via windows update

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just got it on disk from a friend today, so will plan a test run this weekend :blink

Btw, for Noel, Fergal, etc - re VMWare, have a look at Ryan's fine article here

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sad to say, I haven't read the Phoenix article on VMWare before this. Good job, Ryan. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

vmware sounds cool. need to wait until i can get a decent system first though. speaking of, does microsoft still sell installation packages for older OSes such as 98, 95, me, 2000 etc?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

IMHO fergal you would be better off looking on something like Ebay for older OS's. I think you can pick them up pretty cheaply

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Fergal1982

ok. ive installed the trial version of vmware. currently installing 2kpro on the machine. noel. get this software! i think it invaluable already. think about it. A+ students can have every os they need to support installed on one machine. it means when we're reading the A+ book, we can see what we're doing, without taking up a HEAP of space in our flats, etc.

i love it, and i havent even finished installing 2kpro yet. it is a bit daunting, like when you put it into fullscreen mode and cant get out again, or when you cant get the mouse/keyboard capture out. its also worrying when its formatting the drive, etc, lol!

can we do upgrade on virtual machines too? and download updates for the os?

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

yes VMWare is like its own encased machine, you can boot to a floppy disk if you want
    or install a fully fledged Unix
    you can treat a host machine just like you would a normal pc, any updates, configuration changes etc that are required

the full version is a tad pricey though lol
    well as far as software for training purposes goes :)

you will need to change your switching keys from CTRL ALT to CTRL ALT SHIFT or something when you start using linux, as CTRL ALT is used for numerous things :)

8. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

I'm not sure if I'm the only fan of Virtual PC/Server here but I'll recommend it as an alternative to vmware.

Basically it does the same thing as VMWare but seems to be less of a drain on your computers resources. We have an old Proliant 1600 (P2 450, 384 MB ram) server at work which is due to become a DC for our site and I've already got Virtual PC installed along with a second installation of 2000 Server. I'm afraid that the Virtual machine needs treating like a second PC and also requires all the updates, AV software ect.
    Ok I admit that the Virtual server will only be a certificate server and will remain offline for the majority of the time but I have had both machines running whilst I've been installing all those updates, ect, ect...... It might not be a speed demon but it has proved to be usable and hopefully will be upto the job :noway

Eventhough vmware might have better support with OSs other than Microsoft & still has better hardware support, Virtual PC (and especially Server) have improved quite nicely and do seem to be less demanding on system resources.

Microsoft offer a trail version of Virtual PC, and Virtual Server is in final development so the release candidate is currently free so why not download them from Microsoft and give them a try.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/default.mspx
    Infact because Virtual Server will only run on 2003/XP I might just have to upgrade from 2K to 2K3 on my main box before I really start looking at 2K3 properly, just to have a good play around.

Trip as for your advice on getting a bad ass machine how does a dual Athlon MP rig sound. I've only got 1 Gig memory at the min :twisted: but the cost of ECC registered memory stings quite a bit :bigcry It might be a server class motherboard but it is in a cool case though :p and just happens to be called 'Beast' :biggrin

For anyone interested in using either Virtual PC/Server or VM Ware I would recommend digging out any old hard drives that you have. Reducing the amount of OSs accessing each hard drive can speed up the whole experience no end, even without having the latest & greatest processor as long as you have enough memory things will run pretty well as long as you don't try running 4 or 5 machines off of 1 hard drive.

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Has anyone finally installed SP2 yet? I just built a PC for someone and hooked it up to the internet at my place and it installed SP2....so far no probs...however I havent got the full whack of SP2 yet...my auto updates are turned on and waiting but it has yet to download it all and install it....I think I have a few bits here and there but not the whole thing...anyone had any probs yet?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

SP2 released to the XP Pro users via auto update at the end of the month.

Buisnesses using Software update services and only XP Home users on auto update at the moment can download SP2 from the Windows update site.

I think I read somewhere. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well I use XP Home so where at the Windows Update site is it? I have looked almost everywhere and I am sure I am missing something....

12. Fergal1982

its only available through automatic update at the moment!

13. mufftak

mufftak Nibble Poster

Certifications: ITIL 2011,MCSA 2008,MCSA 2003,CEH,Security+,A+,Net+,i-Net+,270,290,291,648,646
  14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thank you thats what I am talking about....I wonder if this will sort out my Windows Protection File problems....:rolleyes:

EDIT: hold on it says Network Installation...are u sure XP Home users can download this cos thats what I use....and what do u know its not for XP Home users...so thats rendered useless for me...

15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

the network installation is not supposed to be for XP home users, or even PRO single users, now i know with pro single users u could just use it anyway, they only suggest not to because of the download size, but im not sure if Home has different files it might feck up as the network install is designed for PRO machines (those are the ones present on networks and domains)

16. mufftak

mufftak Nibble Poster

Network version should be OK but not recommended download because of size, but M$ say's

System Requirements

· Supported Operating Systems: TabletPC, Windows XP, Windows XP Home Edition , Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP Professional Edition

Certifications: ITIL 2011,MCSA 2008,MCSA 2003,CEH,Security+,A+,Net+,i-Net+,270,290,291,648,646
  17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well thanks Mufftak but I am not risking this one...I am already having probs with Windows Protection Files fecking my system as it is...but cheers anyway...

18. Fergal1982

i've set my autoupdate to download and notify me before installation. but i dont think its checking the site. is there any way i can force my autoupdate program to check now!

19. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Yup, there should be Fergal. I'm sat in front of a W2K machine at the mo, so I can't bve exactly sure, but I believe it's:

Start ==> Control Panel ===> Automatic Updates

Yoyu should be able to set the time (s) you want it to download the file's there. Just set it to download, say 15 mins from now, and you should be on the road to SP2. Of course, I could be wrong, but thats a start anyway. :biggrin

HTH

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  20. Fergal1982

i've tried that before - and it wasnt doing it!

Fergal