XP professional trial copy needed

Discussion in 'Software' started by tysfoot, Feb 2, 2010.

1. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Can anyone help, I run Vista on my computer and ive been using a 120 day evaluation copy of XP prfessional that has ran out taken from the MCDST training book and im very close the the end of my studies. I dont want to buy the full version as my needs for it would only last a matter of days

Is there anywhere i can download an 30 day trial of XP for free or for even a fee
    Or is there anyone who has a spare evaluation copy would sell there copy if not needed

Cheers guys

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  2. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Mate im pretty sure any copy of xp pro unless its volume license has a 30 day evaluation unless its the 120 trial period. So I guess you could download an iso image off microsoft website and burn it to a dvd using isoburn (freeware) Then use it as a bootcd and perform a new installation, or if I was you I would download virtual pc and create a virtual pc with maybe 256mb and 10gb hdd and use the iso image you downloaded. Download deamon tools lite, mount the iso image to a virtual drive and on virtual pc use the virtual drive and it will automatically boot from the iso on your computer and you use it virtually then if anything goes wrong it wont effect your vista install.

This is what I would do anyway,

Regards,
    Dave

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
    Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  3. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Ive been trawling though the internet and on micorsofts website for the 30 day trial but i cant find it anywhere, if anyone an help with a link

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

As has already been said - Microsoft don't offer a limited time offer of XP bar the copies they send out with their MS Press books.

Easiest way to progress is to use any XP Pro CD and don't register it.

Presumably your client machine was inside a virtual environment?

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

yeah, im running virtual PC. Is it possible to reinstall my evaluation copy onto virtual pc but this time not register it lke you said

6. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

when you say evaluation copy do you mean the one with the book or the copy you have of xp pro? If its the copy you have thats legit then yes, if it's from the book I guess its possible but I guess microsoft would have accounted for people that do that so im not sure.

Regards,
    Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You should be able to reinstall it to the same type of Vm without a problem.

I installed XP on my first laptop so many times (sometimes 3 times per night) and activated it without any problems at all because it was exactly the same hardware configuration every time.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

Plus you can unistall it and the reinstall it as many times as you want for a further 6 months.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Microsoft doesn't offer a trial/demo version of XP anymore... because XP isn't for sale anymore. The aforementioned options should work for you, however.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Yup, just reinstall, should be fine.

Or buy a copy from ebay or something, maybe you'll find it cheap (and legit of course).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Or use "rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk" (without the ""'s) to try and rearm it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  12. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Cheers guys, it wokred, just reinstalled it