XP problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Karen44, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

Afternoon,

My Dad is having problems with his PC today which started when he attempted to install the new Norton 2006. Norton would not install as it detected a previously installed version. This was removed, however it still would not work.

Odd things then started to happen with Windows - the Help would not work, nor would Search.

Thinking Windows had become corrupt, he reinstalled it from disk. The problems have not gone away.

On checking system info, SP1 is shown, however when he goes to windowsupdate to upgrade to SP2, the site detects that he is running SP2 and does not offer the upgrade!

Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance,
    Karen :biggrin

Certifications: None worth mentioning yet...
    WIP: A+, N+, MCSE
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You can manually download XP SP2 from here.

Don't really know what else to suggest at the minute.

8)

3. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Maybe a corrupt registry? What kind of reinstall did he do?

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  4. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

thanks - have passed the link on. Will let you know if it works :biggrin

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good point! Never thought about that! :oops:

Did he simply reinstall XP over the top of itself or did he format the partition during the install and have to re-install all of his applications?

6. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

I *think* it was a reinstall over the top. I've just passed him the details of this thread and asked him to post if he doesn't figure it out. Easier than me guessing at the answers.

Thanks so far.... :biggrin

7. Dream_In_Infrared

Dream_In_Infrared Nibble Poster

I was told on a recent night-school course that formatting the drive should wipe it and give you a clean slate to start with. Back-up any crucial data first then reinstall the OS after partitioning and formatting. Someone please correct me if this is not applicable here.

Certifications: None :(
    WIP: A+
  8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I would recommend going to the Symantec support site and doing some research on the problem. If the research is couched in terms of the previous Norton version and the current Norton version you will probably find that what is being experienced is probably a known bug.

There can be some very strange problems associated with a failed Norton install so I wouldn't automatically assume that you need to reinstall the OS. Symantec may very well be able to tell you how to fix the problem. It usually just takes some time on the Symantec site to find the information.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  9. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

unfortunately norton can be a real pain in the ass when trying to get rid of it, ie, for a new install etc.

so much so that there are now a few programs that people have written to help get it all out of your registry.

i would agree , first with ffreeloader and then with d-i-i, that's what i would do but there are a few articles here which might help you! good luck!

:tongue

Certifications: ECDL
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I removed Norton from all my computers and replaced it with AVG. There are still elements of Norton on some of my systems that I have no way of removing. I can see them in Add/Remove Programs but it won't let me take them out. :blink

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Pedrito

Pedrito Nibble Poster

Hi Tripwire45,

I'm not sure if its the same problem, but I recently installed a program which just didn't get along with Norton Anti Virus and somehow corrupted it to an extent that I couldn't enable Auto-protect anymore.

After following the links, to Symantec, that show up on the Error messages and going through all of the possible solutions I decided to reinstall Norton.

Two elements remained in the Add/Remove programs list: WMI update and, either Live update or Live Reg, I can't remember! Anyhoo, according to the troubleshooting guide this would require me to reinstall Norton to replace any damaged or corrupted files, and then I would be able to completely remove Norton and it's 'bystanders'. Dully done, and dully worked :cheers

Unfortunately I just can't recall where this guide was on the Symantec site :rolleyes: :oops:

I hope this helps in some way :)

WIP: A+; N+; MCSE
  12. moominboy

think i read a while ago that norton is very protective of itself and it's territory and as such ANY program or .exe trying to muscle in will conflict with norton and more than likely crash one, both or your os!

and trip, like i said before, there are a few progs to totally remove norton which saves a good few hours in the registry for you. i'll have a look-see for you.

:tongue

EDIT:HERE'S one.

and after about 20 mins looking, that seems to be the most used option, but have you tried hijackthis or regcleaner? both outline what's in your registry so........

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

There is a lesson to be learnt in this thread. Norton is a bear to completely uninstall, why should you need additional utilities to remove a program. I was under the impression that application vendors were obligated to make their software removable in add/remove programs. Norton fails to meet this requirement, it is a resource hog, it causes more problems than it prevents and also it costs money to buy and more money to keep the definition subscriptions up to date. Every time I see a computer with Norton on it, the virus database is out of date because the owner didn't bother to cough up more money for the subscription. The computers are usually riddled with viri and run as slow as slugs. Why oh why oh why :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Pedrito

Pedrito Nibble Poster

I don't really know how exactly Anti Virus programs work, but isn't it vital for them to keep their territory safe? I mean, if any program, inc viruses and whatnots, attempt to invade their turf wouldn't this compromise their performance? Since I haven't tried any of the other Anti Virus programs I can't make comparisons, but I guess they would follow along the same path.

Apart from the program I mentioned earlier, I also had the same problem occur with WinASO's Registry Optimizer (http://www.download.com/WinASO-Registry-Optimizer/3000-2094_4-10359198.html?tag=lst-0-1) (there is the 2.0.6 version out now) where it always considers 4 Norton registry entries in its scan. The first, and only time, I allowed it to 'fix' them the same problem ocurred. I thought this was a good self-defence mechanism! It would be better if it fixed itself though :rolleyes:

WIP: A+; N+; MCSE
  15. moominboy

definitely mate, but norton seems to get really ratty if any other AV tries to do the same job. i know AV products usually conflict with each other but even when norton is "uninstalled" it still causes havoc and is a right pain to remove fully.

hence why people have written programs for it.

16. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

Evening,

Just a quick note to say the problems appear to have been resolved.

Im not sure what fixed it in the end but will find out and let you know.

Thanks ever so much for all the helpful advice. :thumbleft

Karen