XP problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by robbo1962, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Download Lavasoft's Adaware as it has a built in Virtumonde removal tool.

http://lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

Thanks for the link Bluerinse, unfortunately nothing happens when i try to download it i just get the image the message saying that it is downloading but the transfer rate and the estimated time left to download are both blank so it never ends, this has been the case with other ones i have tried also Gary

Certifications: A+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I recently had an issue with adaware, I ended up binning it.

Try downloading avira anti vir (free) or visit trendmicro and go through the online scan to remove all malware, greyware and spyware.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

by ampersand, do you mean "&"? and not the "at sign" @?

if so then your input language is set to US english and not UK, one of your 3 kids may have done the "keyboard mash" and they could've switched input languages (left Alt + shift will change text input)

Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > (2nd tab) Languages > click Details under Text Services and Input Languages > Set UK English to default and remove any others that are there and you are not going to use

5. greenbrucelee

I said that before but robbo said it was UK :blink

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Think there is a tick box where you select "apply to all user accounts" or something like that. Might help here. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

GBL , avira anti vir went the same way as the others it just wouldnt download, trendmicro went part of the way through then froze, my mistake its the @ and the " that are the wrong way around, i can only check the languages when in safe mode as for some reason i cannot switch to Classic view in the control panel. i am certain it is set to English UK though. Gary Thanks for all you effort its really appreciated, its time to admit defeat for tonight and ill have another go tommorrow. Thanks again Gary

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps try a system restore as some "software" may have been installed that is causing the problem.

Also try creating another user account and logging in with that. Might get rid of that Windows 98 look! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I'm pretty sure that's what happens when your keyboard gets set to US mode when using a UK keyboard.

Use Left Alt + Shift to toggle through the various keyboard input langugages or go into Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Language tab and click the Details button under Text Services and input languages.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  10. greenbrucelee

If what stoney says doesn't work, I think wiping the hard drive and doing a fresh install may be in order.

11. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

robbo1962,

Malware writers probably knows that after initial infection and subsequent malware removal tool creation, that the first step that most people try to do is to try to download the malware removal tool. So as a "self-preservation precaution," the malware may be disabling your ability to download the malware removal tool as well as your general ability to browse the Internet. Do you possibly have a second computer that is not infected with a CD/R drive that you could download the malware removal tool software, burn it to the CD, then sneakernet the CD from the second computer to the first computer, remove the malware, then post back from the first computer letting us know that your problem is solved? If you don't have a second computer, then may ask your family, friends, or people at work to burn the malware removal tool software onto a CD-R disc.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  12. greenbrucelee

that is a very good idea :)

13. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

A couple of things these bloody programs do is too:

Alter the host file to redirect Anti Virus sites and Spyware removal to 127.0.0.1

and

most of the time, as mentioned previous, they have a secondary self preservation program running too.

Are you able to check the Hosts file in Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc? Open it up with Notepad and see if they're any entries that redirect sites such as www.mcaffe.com or www.symantec.com to the loopback address.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  14. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

Thanks for all the help, i have tried all of your sugestions but to no avail, r.h.lee i tried you idea of getting another computer to download a program but i couldnt open any of them, drum dude you were right in saying that it sets it to the loopback address, i found this on one of the anti virus programs i was trying to update. This virus has got me beat all ends up i even had a friend to look and he is very experienced with virus problems. So its time to go with GBLs suggestion of a wiping the drive and starting again. The only saving grace is all my data is backed up. Thanks once again for all your help Gary

15. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

robbo1962,

How about physically removing the hard drive from your computer, take it to a friend's house with a computer with the most up to date virus checker and cleaner, connect your hard drive as a slave to your friend's computer, then get your friend's computer to scan and fix your hard drive?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  16. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

Ok, i have done a complete re installation of XP and my computer is now running as smooth as the day it was born, Thanks to all for your help. Gary

17. Softix

Softix Bit Poster

Oh well..sad to see the last resort come up, but its allright I guess. Always beneficial to wipe out Windos and start afresh every now n then..