XP PRO upgrade path 70-271

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by dales, Dec 13, 2006.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

On lates today, xmas wind down in place so most of our users dont care if their pc's burn so i've got a bit of time to think about stuff.

I have taken a practice test somewhere cant remember who the supplier was but it said something like what os's can you upgrade to xp pro with, it had all of the ususal suspects there but it had listed nt4 sp5 and I thought that it was a trick as far I know as nt4 sp6 that can be upgraded but not sp5, the test said I was wrong.

Am I?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

the way i know it is that you MUST have SP5 atleast but SP6 is recommended

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

oh yes, of course as with all things if you RTFM then all becomes clear, as its states in my book sat here on my desk you can upgrade from SP5 onwards!

Silly me, must be the crimbo excitment getting to me.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Of course in the real world, if you wanted to upgrade an NT4 box to XP, you would most likely quickly realise that the hardware was not compatible.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...or not worth the upgrade hassle. Always, always, always do a clean install whenever possible.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!