XP Licensing Headache

Discussion in 'Software' started by Colloghi, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Well i thought I understood the way that VLK work, but someone has thrown a spanner into my brain today and confused me.

The situation......

I am looking at Purchasing some PCs with no OS. The idea being that I install XP OS, with the VL product keys that are shown availiable to my company in the the Volume Licensing Centre.

Its been pointed out to me today, that although I can use the VL product Key and install the software. I still need to buy a license for each install..............I thought the VL product key was the License to Install? As long as you keep a record and use it as set down in the terms and conditions ?

Im confused and I havnt had coffee yet. maybe thats the problem

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

How many licenses did you purchase when you received your VLK? (and is that more or less than the number of installs?)

The VLK itself is just an installation key, you do still need to purchase the correct number of licenses for the PC's you install it on.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

As far as I know most MS Volume Licencing for desktops is an upgrade licence only.

This means that you must buy the pc with a MS OS on it. So you could buy the PC's with a home version on it (cheaper) and then upgrade to the Professional version.

4. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Thanks Guys

I think Ive identified where the confusion has arisen on my part.

The company I work for is quite small and comes under a larger group who have made availiable to us Volume Licensing product keys. Unfortunately it looks like there was some misunderstanding on our companies part and we have actually been provided with the licenses.........

DOH

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290