XP home, home user access

Discussion in 'Networks' started by gary_potten, Sep 15, 2005.

1. gary_potten

gary_potten Bit Poster

Hi all,

I have a user here that has a laptop running xp home, she wishes to be able to login to the server as she would if she were in the office, the problem is i have never done this before and need a bit of help. out set up here is fairly basic with 1 mail server and 1 work server which is the domain controller, which all run thru our smoothwall firewall. I really dont know what to do, plz help!

Regards
    Gary

WIP: MCSE 2003
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I have very little experience of setting up VPN's so I can't help you there sorry. I can tell you though that her laptop will need upgrading to XP Pro if she wants to join the domain, XP Home doesn't support that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Modey is correct, if you want this laptop to directly connect to the domain then you will need to upgrade it to XP Pro.

If what you are wanting to do is set up vpn access however then this may be possible (I'm not sure).

This should get you started in the right direction on the client.

If memory serves there is a simillar setup wizzard on the server in administrative tools - routing and remote access.

What you need to think about though is weather or not you have a publicly available IP Address, or weather your company is dynamically assigned one by your ISP. You will also have to make sure that you are able to open up the appropriate ports of your firewall.

8)

4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

if the goal is only to provide the user access to a mailbox and some shares, and if the user has no problems regularly being confronted with a logon window, then it might be possible, depending on the setup.

if the goal is to provide full access to the domain, with active directory access, gpo deployment, etc., then the machine needs to be upgraded to xp pro, as already indicated by the others.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with the consensus. Probably needs to upgrade to XP Pro. XP Home is a dog.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. gary_potten

gary_potten Bit Poster

Ok, cheers guys, I will upgrade her machine to xp pro.
    We have a set of static ip addresses from our isp, will post again when upgraded to xp pro

WIP: MCSE 2003
  7. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

#What is the server's OS?

If 2003 then http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/networking/vpn/default.mspx may be of help, if not then to create the VPN connection to the office you will need third party software.

Once connected to VPN then then the workstation acts as if on work network so can connect to shares (\\<hostname>\<sharename>) and resources on the network (obviously not AD as mentioned before)!

In the XP home you may need to disable simple file sharing (tools - folder options - uncheck bottom check box) to be able to give user credentials for the connection.

**EDIT**
    Please ignore the last paragraph, just checked and the sneaky suspision I had that the simple file sharing is the only choice in XP home is true, in which case on the DC there will need to be a user with the same name as on the XP home for connecting shares.

I do not consider XP home to be a real operating system personally!! :)

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security