Xbox One vs PS4 dare I say vs Wii U?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Jun 11, 2013.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi All

Figured since I've had a few OCS chats with colleagues lately about which next gen console is best, I'd let that spill out onto Certforums seeing as we have so many gamers. Even my facebook account has been littered with comments after I wrote that I'd get an Xbox One.

What are you fancying? For me, I always was an Xbox gamer, Xbox > Xbox 360. Love it. I also loved the Playstation 2, amazing console, and currently play my PS3 more than anything else. I've had some great times with my old Wii, playing that way too much. I got hooked on playing the CODs on Wii, despite the low res graphics I was addicted to the difficulty of using the Wii pad..... anyway I digress.

I will probably buy a Wii U "for the kids", its a good laugh and can't be beat for a family night in. I'd probably even get the odd grown up game for it although it is worrying that EA said they didn't plan to release any :S

This is just my personal opinion (so don't flame me!) but I think the Xbox One and PS4 aren't the leap we saw going from Xbox/PS2 to 360/PS3. Those brought us 1080p gaming which blew me away. XBO and PS4 will support 4K but I dont know a single person with a 4K TV to show off its full capability. I've seen screen shots of games, yeah, nice, but light years above my PS3 or Xbox? I don't think so, still 1080p because of my TV.

All of that said, despite the XBO looking to be more expensive I'm going to buy it over the PS4. I love the Kinnect, its the main reason as there doesn't look like a lot in it between the two. That and I feel theres plenty of life left in my PS3. Why stream PS3 games onto your PS4 when you can just keep your PS3 :)

I have read the XBO has some very dodgy pre-owned games rules, also it has to check in with HQ every day or it won't play any games! Madness. I'll still get one as this doesn't effect me too much (hopefully).

How about you?

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

PS4 for me all the way! I think Microsofts approach is suicide personally! Making it impossible for you to borrow or lend games to Mates etc, that's half the fun of playing, you all get different games and borrow amongst your selves and challenge etc.

Also the having to go online daily, doesn't sound that bad, but what if your service provider goes down for a couple of days, or an issue occurs inside your house that needs an engineer, console won't work for days! Ridiculous! Money you pay it should work regardless!

I think Sony will take a big leap ahead of Microsoft with this generation, especially as they themselves make 4k tv's to really show off the quality! 4k is pretty damn impressive when you see it in the flesh!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I've not seen it mate but I can imagine its similar to when I went from 480 to 1080 ie a bit mind blowing. I've had my broadband go down for a day or two myself. I would imagine the daily check in is to battle pirates, I'm not sure, but like you say, you will get thousands of unhappy gamers who end up with a media box instead of an xbox if their internet goes down :(

- - - Updated - - -

Good read, comparison from a review site here

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Grim-83

Grim-83 Nibble Poster

Nes / Snes ;)

I know I'll end up getting all 3 like the last lot (PS3/360/Wii) but I'll most likely end up giving the Xbox one to my younger brother like I've done with my 3 360s when I get too paranoid about being watched.

And once I got them, I'll end up playing my classic systems instead....

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, MCTS 70-680, MTA 98-365, 98-366, 98-367
    WIP: CCENT / CCNA
    jk2447 likes this.
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'm holding out for microsoft to produce a console system that checks my biometric passport and requires me to wear an electronic tag, I'd pay extra if it uses kinect to monitor my every waking move and send it to redmond...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  6. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

I seriously couldn't believe this when I saw it:

Xbox executive Don Mattrick speaks his mind on Xbox One bashing - E3 2013 - YouTube

Microsoft's official line now seems to be don't buy our new product if you don't have an Internet connection (but no need to worry - just carry one with your 360)!!?? I know that most people in the Western world do have access to the Internet but as has already been pointed out many times, what about people in rural areas who don't? What happens if your router dies and it takes a few days to get a new one? What happens when there is a prolonged outage or degradation of service with your ISP? What happens if you switch ISP's and have to wait to be connected to your new ISP?

Then there's the price - anyone who spends over £400 on a console needs their head examining! You can also guarantee the first gen version of the hardware will have some problems (RROD anyone)?

Another issue I can't get my head around with the Xbox is how it is meant to work in a setup with an amp/receiver. If my cable box is plugged into my Xbox One, which is then plugged into my amp, will I still get Surround Sound functionality on my cable box?

Will the TiVo/Sky+ functionality of my cable/satellite box be accessible from within the Xbox One UI?

The whole design is far too complicated. What happened to a console just being damn good at playing games?

As you can probably tell, I've pretty much made up my mind that I won't be buying an Xbox One! That doesn't mean I'll definitely buy a PS4 - it just means I'm no longer an Xbox fanboy!

7. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I get why people loved the 360, but everyone I know that had played both ended up PS3, I honestly believe that Sony had the better long lasting console last generation and I think they've totally stolen a march on this generation.

Sony back on top right now, which with the often muted 10 year console idea they both keep touting, that's gotta be real good news for Sony!

Matter of time if you ask me though, especially now with the pc build consoles that you bet yearly upgrade options, where you send your console back for like £100 every year and get the latest hardware etc!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!