X800 series or 6800 series ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DiamondGeezer, Jan 6, 2005.

1. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

I know i should probably be puting more time and attention towards my studies but i've found myself at the oh so familiar doorstep that is..........what new gaming toy can i purchase? :oops:

At the moment i have a Sapphire Radeon 9800Xt 256mb. It has a Zalman heatpipe cooler and top mounted Zalman fan. I've had the card for about 5 months with great results ( i know its pratically new :rolleyes: ) but every 6 months or so there must be a mystical alignment of planets that urges me to upgrade something, so its Graphics card this time round.

This is my dilema....do i go for the X800Xt series from Ati based cards or go with 6800Gt or ultra Nvidia card.

Muuust.....Buy.........goods.......pleeeeaase Hellllp

WIP: mcp/ccna
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

You may find with a graphics card like that the video card is not the major issue, you may want to consider extra memory or something, whats the rest of your system like?

also are you on the AGP route or the 6800? if your still on AGP id go for the ATI card

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

Complete Sys Specs:

A64 3400 Newcastle
    1gb Crucial Ballistix DDR500 ( Dual Channel )
    A-Bit KV8 OTES cooling
    Sappire 9800Xt 256mb
    200gb Maxtor D.Max9 IDE 7200
    200gb Maxtor D.Max10 SATA
    160gb Samsung Spinpoint 7200
    Hercules Digifire 7.1 Sound
    Xp Pro SP2

Its probably gonna be agp. I dont think there is going to be a skt754 mainboard coming out that supports PCI-E, so I dont want to ditch my board, chip and card, divorce would surely follow :rolleyes:

Thanks Again.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

With that spec ? Guess you could add a cordless mouse... :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

LMAO.....Already went down that road at crimbo time mate. The mouse refused to work though, so I got myself a microsoft digital media pro keyboard and a Terratec Mystify Razor gaming mouse. The mouse has a 2100dpi resolution on it and believe me its taking some getting used to, super sensitive even at the lowest settings.

One reason that may be swaying me towards the X800Xt is that its not as power hungry as the 6800Ultra cards. It also performs better when AA and AF are cranked up..(something Ati based cards have always exceeded at).

Still open to suggestions. I reckon I should be able to sell my current card no probs. Thay still retail around £300.

Later.
    :p

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i hate cordless mice lol :P
    nice set up mate, a real gamer i see ;)
    i think the choice would be the ATI too, im still running a 9600XT 128mb, even runs doom 3 so no probs for me, monitors native res is 1600x1200 though and some games get a bit sluggish, but what do i expect :D

i tend to stick one gen behind top of the line video, makes more sense for me, runs all the games i like (mainly RTS anyway, a few FPS but not too many to worry about) its bucket loads cheaper that gives me more room to spend 500 quid on diving regulators, and 800 quid per monitor
    lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

yeh I usually run that way also. I had a 9600xt before the 9800xt and it played everything I threw at it. I've been saying for long enough that i'm gonna overclock my chip and ram but never actually got round to it. There is plenty of headroom for the ram to run low latencies at higher speeds, its rated at cas2.5 3 3 7 for 500mhz, the one thing thats been holding me back is my psu. Its a Q-Tec 550w, but after some searching on other forums i found a few horror stories about dead systems due to the lack of amps it has on the 12v rail. Personally I've been running a packed system for the last 18 months with this psu and had no problems, but now I've moved to a 64 bit Processor I'm just a little more cautious. I'll probably get myself a Tagan 480w psu before i attempt anything.

Thanks again for the input lads. Always appreciated.

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Cable ties - you clearly need cable ties :D

9. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

Already in stock mate. VELCRO cable ties no less......Woooooo!!!! :D

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

screen wipe ??? [​IMG]

11. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

Dont need them mate, I've got a 9 month old son who likes to rub the monitor clean with his freshly licked fingers. You get an amazing rainbow colour effect across the screen once his natural cleaning produce dries out.

Anything else ?

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Set of AA batteries for the Fisher-Price "My First Computer" ? 8)

13. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

Ah you got me there. Plenty of batteries, just need the comp. I wonder if it will run HL2 ? :blink

14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Ah... see, there is something you need..............screen wipes.[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685