Writing a new cv, any advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by beaumontdvd, Feb 26, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi everyone, as I have a few days off to regain my strength from all that furniture moving. I am trying to write up a nice new cv that will get me that entry level job in IT that I have been trying to get for two years.

I know I will need to write that I'm looking for an entry level job, and basically what I know and why I studied for my certs. Also my hobbies and interests, and how I like to learn new aspects of IT.

Is there any main points anyone on CF would suggest to include before I do my first draft 8)?

Thanks anyone in advance,

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

Just a quick note (I've found this useful to me)... :biggrin

If you use the internet for IT research (ie this forum) or even better have created a website for yourself or a club/organisation, include it in your hobbies and interests section, but make sure to spell it out, for example...

Under the hobbies and interests in my CV I have something along the lines of...

"During the last 6 months I have created a website for the karate club I am a member of, I used Dreamweaver to create the layout site, Photoshop to create the graphics and photos, I created an SQL database to hold member details, I created a small members section using PHP Programming to allow members to post messages...."

Just don’t go overboard – they may ask why you want this job if you could get a job as a web developer. :dry

Although this may seem unrelated to your MCDST certs and unrelated to the job you are applying for I have actually been offered a job on a helpdesk in the past because the organisation where experiencing the odd question from clients about setting up personal websites, and not being able to access sites they once could, but couldn’t understand why (following an IE upgrade, etc..) and no-one at the organisation had any real experience in setting up a website. :rolleyes:

They may even feel that you could resolve issues that they don't even know about yet. :eek:

Remember the idea behind the CV is just to get an interview - Also put something in the hobbies and interests section that you can talk passionately about during the interview - interviewers won't really be listening to what you say, but will be looking at the way you say it (if you are talking passionately about something your eyes tend to get brighter, and your entire body language becomes that much more confident) :biggrin

Every organisation has a website, almost all IT users use the internet, some even have their own sites, and may just have the odd question, so if you can put anything in about how you know your way around the internet it will be an asset (unless you say you run a web based business or something - this will just look like you will spend all day doing that, and not your work). :x

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  3. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  4. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the help mate, I will start it inabit after a quick game on cod :twisted:

Thanks for the advice I will add it in :biggrin
    Repped

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Very true. I have always been asked about my hobbies at interview. I guess if people aren't straight about their hobbies (and therefore cannot talk in some detail about them) it's possible they haven't been quite straight elsewhere.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'd just add only to put on hobbies that are interesting or relevant.

Putting down 'reading and watching TV' makes you look dull.
    Employers might also be wary of any hobbies that are a) dangerous or b) time consuming.
    They don't want you calling in once a month with broken bones from another downhill mountain biking accident, or trying to take four weeks off while your Indie band tours Belgium.

Charitable and volunteer things often look good.

Generally though, from what I've seen they're better left off, use the space for something useful.
    You can talk passionately about your hobby during an interview - but as cosway says, the purpose of a CV is to get an interview, and no matter how successful your pub darts team have been this year it's not going to help you out much.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD